New
Find
Notify
Tools

HS precision fitting problems
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I finally received my HS sporter stock for my 270 WSM model 70. After applying their bedding putty and allowing it to cure for 24 hrs. I went ahead and put on the trigger guard and floor plate. I was unable to close the floor plate. It seems that the floor plate is binding toward the front of the rifle, thestock is too high. I put a small washer under the trigger guard to raise it up. This solved the problem until I torqued it to 65 inch pounds. The washer pressed into the stock and I was left with the same problem. At this point I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I guess I can sand down the the stock so it doesn't bind up but I'm not sure I want to start sanding on a $300 stock. Has anyone dealt with a problem like this, if so can you offer some advice. Also-- One of the bolts they sent is too long, it sticks up into the action and obstructs the bolt from sliding in. I guess I'll shorten it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid a little sanding for fit and bedding is required of almost all stocks, regardless of the "drop in" claims. The too long action screws isn't uncommon either, I had a rifle come from Winchester this way once. May as well get at it. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
MOA,

How come you didn't check out the fit before you bedded it?

If you try to shim the trigger guard "AWAY" from the stock so the floor plate will close, you will end up with a loose mag box which will cause feeding trouble. You will probably need to remove some material around the floor plate to get the floor plate to close. You are lucky as this is easier to do, and get away with, to a composite stock than it would be a beautiful wood stock.

Anyway, with a pen, mark the area where the floor plate makes contact with the stock. With a file, carefully start removing material until the floor plate closes evenly. Spend more time checking the fit than filing. Depending on how much material you removed, you may have to extend the cut the full length of the floorplate. You may have to touch up the finish as well.

Never apply epoxy without first assembling the complete weapon and checking or adjusting it's fit.

Malm

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Now you know why these stock manufacturers charge twice the price to finish a stock on your barreled action as they do for a "drop-in".
The good news is there's very little you can't fix on a fiberglass stock with some spray paint and accra glass.
Now for the call to arms .... grab that file and dremell tool and make that thing fit. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got best accuracy at 40 - 45 inch pounds, not at 65 inch pounds. This is a Rem 700 VS in the HS Precision stock. Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote