Find
Notify
Tools

Sights for Pre-war Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Howdy all, I just received a pre-war model 70 carbine in 30GOVT06. The rear receiver bridge has not been drilled and I was curious as to what options are out there for sights on these models-Irons and optics. I know one option is to drill and tap the receiver, but that would hurt my feelings. There are two slight dents in the stock where a receiver peep or something was mounted along the side of the gun. Are there any modern scope side mounts for this era rifle? Thanks, Gary

Posts: 403 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it already drilled in the left side for a side scope mount?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Yes it is, two holes. I thought that was factory drilled and tapped, just not the top of the receiver on the rear. The front half is drilled on top with two holes

Posts: 403 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two mounts that will fit and both can be found in the "Gun List" at specialized dealers. One is the Bausch & Lomb or Kuharsky mount which incorporates windage and elevation; it's bulky, alloy and kinda ugly, but, it works.

The really neat one is the Stith Streamline Mount which is harder to find, but, it is svelte, period and will accept modern scopes if you can find the 1" tube model-straight tube scopes only of course.

Your rifle/carbine, if in very nice, ORIGINAL condition is fairly valuable in collector's terms and you might want to have it appraised by a pro before using it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was asking if the side rail was drilled. I guess your saying the top of the front ring is drilled but not the rear bridge.
If the side isnt drilled I would not put holes in it.

Id find the spaceing measurement for the holes in the top front ring and find bases that will fit first.

Im looking for a side mount for a model 30 enfield that is already drilled but the weaver side mount in the brownells cataloge has different hole spaceing .So Im still serching for a Nice side mount.

Kutenaycwby... is gun list that newspaper publication? Im searching for a side mount also..

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, the "Gun List" is that large format newspaper type publication that comes out about twice a month in order to torture we poor benighted "gunnuts" with goodies that we can never afford to own-but actually need, you know how that is!

The Model 70 in question is factory drilled on the left side of the receiver bridge for a receiver sight, this will also accept the rear base of the two mounts I mentioned and may accept a Stith "Master Mount" as well, this is a heavy, but, beautifully made mount that sometimes had a peep sight in it, as well. There is NO NEED to drill extra holes in ANY classic American rifle, in fact, doing so should consign one to the nether reaches of Hades.

There are always mounts to fit, one just has to look around for them. I know the B&Ls work because I have some.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd go for an appropriately dated Lyman 48WJS receiver sight on a carbine. Keep it slick and fast.

Please don't drill any extra holes- I'm having the damnest time finding someone to weld them back up in some of mine...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the stock hasn't been cut-out for a receiver sight, it probably came out of the factory with a #22G rear sight in the barrel dovetail. Pre-war's were often fitted with the later-model Lyman 48 WJS or 57 W receiver sights that did not require a stock cut, though they sometimes dented the wood. A carbine begs for iron sights only (IMO). That gun is probably worth $2K-3K to a collector, depending on condition. Note: if it doesn't have an integral front sight ramp, it's likely a fake.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, thanks for the info. It's all original and the barrel does have the integral front sight ramp. Overall about 90% condition. Some lighter areas(faded bluing) on the barrel, but not down to the white. The action is in great shape. Wood is intact with no gouges or serious dents. Metal buttplate with the notch on top. I haven't shot it yet, in fact it's getting a major douching first. Gonna get rid of all of that 60+ years of fouling buildup.
2-3K???? THat feels good!!

That safety is gonna take some getting used to.

It is a slick rig, still weighty tho', that should tame that buttplate. A receiver sight sounds pretty cool. May have to go that route. Now, anyone have any good loads for a carbine length '06?

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy all,

well after a serious cleaning I loaded up some 150 grain speers and went to the range. I was perfectly square on my windage and only had to move the rear blade down a mite. However, that front bead is a 3/32" plate and covers up 8-10 inches at 100 yds. So, my groups weren't. I may have to go to a 1/16 or so bead. KMB, I found a picture of a stith mount. Front ring goes in the rear sight dovetail and the rear mount against the side of the receiver right? Guess what, the previous owner had one and I didn't know what the hell it was, only that it had a 7/8" busted 1.5 power scope in it. He had several other project 70's, so I thought it may have went with one of them. Anyway, I also saw a dark picture of a Stith Bear Cub that may hold more promise. We'll see. Anyone know where a 40's era Lyman 48WJS receiver sight might be laying about collecting dust?

Thanks, Gary