Find
Notify
Tools

Blind magazine stock for Mauser 98?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted
I just got done fitting and chambering a 6BR barrel(an older 6mm Rem 40-X take off) for an extremely low budget varmint rig....

Wondering if any of you have see a blind magazine stock - or know someone who will inlet for a 98 without bottom metal????

Again - this is a LOW budget deal, I just don't want to see military bottom metal on it.

Thanks!

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Blind box, trigger guard supplied with the stock. $95

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queri...8&NewProduct=0[/URL]
Hope that helps.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
...sorry guess I should have said wood.

Thanks though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post edited due to a "senior moment".

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Send the pictures my way! fireball168@yahoo.com

You think the stock can take a 1.2" barrel???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh... Red Face I just remembered that I sold that stock a while back to a fella in Canada. This is very embarassing. Sorry. Roll Eyes

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Why blind box? You can pick up an old 98 assembly for about the price of a trigger guard for your blind box.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Yep, and I've got a box full of them, I just want a blind box stock.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I was thinking you were wanting to keep the $$ low. I don't know of a blind wood stock offhand. However most the the semifinished stock suppliers would make that change. They will just charge an extra fee.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey TC1--
Any experience with the qualitty of these Mauser stocks from Choate? Their site isn't real helpful but I'm very intereste in their product--specifically: stiffness, finish, weight. Thanks so much.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowcat:
Hey TC1--
Any experience with the qualitty of these Mauser stocks from Choate? Their site isn't real helpful but I'm very intereste in their product--specifically: stiffness, finish, weight. Thanks so much.

Yes, I've used them before. They are only slightly better than what you'd get from a factory (remington/winchester) synthetic stock. They have a pebble finish that doesn't slip in your hands and the color is all the way through the stock, so if it's scratched it'll be the same color and not look too bad. The down side is they're heavy. If I needed an inexpensive stock and had bottom metal, I'd probably pony up an extra $60 and get a Bell&Carlson.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested for a different reason. I have an old Mark X single shot action they once made paterned after the FN singl. I have always had it stocked in a B&C synthetic. Always wanted to get a stock with no inletting in magazine/floorplate area so that it looked better. The blind bottom would work great for it. That isn't at all the same as a floorplate and blind magazine. For one thing, much less action support.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote