THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement Trigger for Colt Light Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 2 Colt light rifles that shoot very well but the triggers suck. Does anyone know of a replacement or substitute?......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on Light rifle. I was interested in getting one awhile back and there is a guy on this forum or on HA that replaced his trigger and stock on his Colt. Search HA also. If I find the post I'll reply back.
Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that either an FN 98 style action, or a Howa 1500? Can't remember which, probably the latter. If it is an FN action, the answer to your question is easy - Timney, Boyds, etc. etc. for a Mauser 98 will work.

Best of luck,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a search on HA. The guy used a Timney #501. He also put the rifle in a Lone Wolf stock. Says it is a tack driver and 6.5lbs including scope.
Good luck,
Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
had a buddy that had one said the rem 700 trigger worked just fine. Have also heard mel forbes will replace it with a tuned rem 700 for about $50 bucks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a pick of a 338-06 built on a Colt Light. No problems with the trigger fit. The stock did take some considerable time and effort to modify but it can be done. Melvin Forbe's Ultralight stock will be practically a drop in fit. You can get one for $400. Thats the route I'll take if I do it again. The Bansners came out pefect but cost $200 plus a lot of time to modify. If time is worth anything to ya, the Melvin Forbes stock will be cheaper.

Specs:
Colt Light action
LW barrel, blank turned by smith to a light 2ish contour cut at 23"
Bansner stock (700 blueprint modified to fit the Colt)
Shilen Model 700 trigger
HD Coat on all metal
Paint by Rick Bin
Weight as she sits is 6lbs 10oz
Averages less than 1" at 100 and beleive it or not averages 2" at 300 with 180 gr Nosler BT. I'm usually not a BT guy but thought in this application (for deer) they will be absolutely lethal due to the modest velocity and the heavier construction of the .338 BT's.

Posts: 105 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Colt Light Rifles. One is in 270 (factory) , the other is rebarreled to 7mmWSM. Your rifle looks like it has a bedding block/ recoil lug turned into the barrel. Is this correct? Are you using a third screw in this area?

Rifle looks great!

Did you start with a magnum action? How does it feed the 338 cases?

Thanks
Roy

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Colt Light Rifle Trigger is an excellent trigger for a hunting rifle. It takes the best attributes of the Winchester Model 70 and a few features from the Remington 700. On a hunting rifle, that will get exposed to the elements, an exposed sear (such as the Win Model 70 and the CLR) is a real advantade. Very easy to clean if it gets full of dust, mud or ice.
I've been able to get my two CLR triggers down to a real crisp 2 pounds with just a bit of stoning and a spring change. I could get them even lighter, but for a hunting rifle I like two pounds.
In the tread below it suggested that a Rem 700 trigger will work in the CLR. Not sure if this is true, but then maybe a CLR trigger will fit in a Remington? Sounds like a plan......

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 triggers will definitly work as I have put them in two colt light rifles. If you use the original stock you will have to do some minor inletting for the remington safety lever to fit.
Raghorn

Posts: 196 | Location: Ms. | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread but I want to update this with more information for future searches. The Colt Light Rifle will take a Remington 700 type triggers, that means Jewel, Timney, Shilen, etc. The problem is 1)You'll have to find a Remington safety to put on the new trigger because you cannot take the safety off the Colt trigger and put it on the new trigger. 2)You would have to inlet the stock, an easy job, to accomodate the safety and trigger because they sit about 3/4 of an inch further back than the Colt trigger. By replacing the trigger on the Colt, I think the buyer got a heck of a package for the amount of money invested. BTW, you can buy a stock from Mel Forbes for $450, he will install your trigger and safety on the gun for you for an additional $40. Good shooting.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if Mel would do that. Solves my only complaint.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote