Find
Notify
Tools

Removing rear sight on Ruger Black Hawk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
I'm planning on mounting a Trijicon RedDot sight on my Ruger BH in 45 LC. I understand I will need to drift out the pin which holds the rear sight in place as well as screw out the elevation screw. I've got brass pin punches and the proper screw drivers. Is their anything I should know? Like, which order to remove 1st; pin or screw? Left to right or right to left on the pin?

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Use a starting punch if you have one and as a rule of thumb, always drift sights and pins from left to right as seen from rear of the firearm...looking down the sights.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
With a little more research I found a post on how to remove/replace a Ruger rear sight. Quite easy. It was actually harder to install the Trijicon MS22 base place for the Trijicon RedDot sight 'cause the mounting screw which goes down through the plate into the rear sight screw hole was about .070" too long. Good thing I had a supply of 150 grit and 1500 grit wet sand paper to shorten the screw. Then, wah lah! Neat that the mounting plate has a rear sight slot akin to a Ruger rear sight. Now, I don't know how well it alighns with the front sight, but we'll see soon

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Use a starting punch if you have one and as a rule of thumb, always drift sights and pins from left to right as seen from rear of the firearm...looking down the sights.

While your advice is absolutly valid... the ruger rear sight pivot pin is easly pushed out with nothing more facy than a paper clip. Well, maybe a stout one.
Rusty

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
This thread is worthless without pictures!!!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Too late! I've already mounted the Trijicon RedDot sight. You can read about it over in the handgun section. Normally I would'nt mind pulling the sight and taking some pics but with an Alaskan Grizzly hunt in 17 days, my clock is running out.