Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another stock refinishing thread
 Login/Join

posted
I've read through a number of the refinishing threads here and elsewhere, and I'm about ready to start stripping this ADL stock:

Here's what I want out of it, and what I've got in mind for the project. I don't have much experience with woodworking, but I'm willing to put in the time.

What I want: Deep color, with a satin finish. I'd like the finish to be weather-resistant.

I'll be doing a chemical strip, then I'm thinking of staining over it to deepen the color and even out some slight discoloration around the breech. Beyond that, I was thinking multiple coats of satin polyurethane, wet sanding between coats.

I've also seen suggestions on doing multiple coats of tung oil, but I'm concerned about it being weather-resistant.

Does anybody have any thoughts on where I'm going with this, suggestions for things to change, or recommendations for alternatives to getting a quality, weather-resistant, satin finish?

Posts: 24 | Location: Round Rock, TX | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not going to remove the impressed checkering, it is going to be difficult to make the end product look good.
Just my opinion.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying you can make it look good removing the checkering either. But it would be difficult to remove the finish from the checkering and get a stain to work in that area. You have to remove a lot of wood in removing this type of checkering and I don't know if it could be made to look right.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Bigric,

I do stock refinishing using poly. If you would like my method I could PM it to you.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a gun that I bought from Jim (pdhntr1) and the finish is fantastic....also look up a guy that goes by Sitka Deer (name is Art) on 24hourcampfire.com. He has a method of using a slow curing epoxy on stocks that makes them very waterproof. Art has an incredible knowledge of wood, finishes and waterproofing. He lives in Alaska, so he knows all about hunting in a wet environment. I have put together a document with some of his "pearls" from his posts that I could email you if you like. Its not organized very well, but I searched on all his posts and copied the text into a MS Word document so that I can look them up easily.

Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock refinishing isn't hard Just be patient .

Generally one can remove the finish on most stocks by using a paint brush and either lacquer or Acetone or combination of the two . Or use a commercial stripper which is my last choice .

Around the checkering use a old toothbrush so as not to damage the points with what ever you use to remove the old finish with .
Use either wet&dry sand paper or 3M scuffing pads to smooth out any defects in your stock .
I generally use two layers of masking tape over the checkering to protect it in case I slip with the sand paper .
Use a Dye or lacquer stain you can dilute in Alcohol or lacquer apply if not enough color repeat until you like it . Remember the finish no matter what you use will darken it some what .
Now I prefer HIGH GLOSS urethane two part Automotive type works well . Or at least a High quality Flooring urethane . Remember to thin it and apply to the checkering first BEFORE doing the rest of the stock . Now after it's dried throughly re tape the checkering areas feather sand any excess amounts that may have gotten on the stock . At this time if stain needs to be touched up DO SO !. Now Light Coats are always better than a heavy coat . HIGH GLOSS !. It's what your looking for when you've applied a few coats and all looks pretty good and dry remove the masking tape from the checkering and lightly scuff or sand entire stock . Now re shoot the entire stock so as to blend any areas between the checkering and the stock body .

It's a procedure to prevent filling the Checkering in with finish .

now once everything is to your liking except that HIGH GLOSS finish . You have two choices at this point use rotten stone with oil to cut the gloss or simply scuff the finish and apply Satin over the top .
If you use two part automotive or Aircraft urethane it's the toughest clear coat finish available to you . Totally Water and most chemically resistant finish you can apply .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everybody who has replied. You've given me a lot of good tips and direction. I'll update the thread as I get to work on this.

Posts: 24 | Location: Round Rock, TX | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr.K, just curious as to why you start with the high gloss and then change to the low or semi? Why not start with one type and stay with it?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote