New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Abotl Stalker bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm perplexed with my Abolt Stalker's so-called factory bedding. It basically looks like they squirted some two-part epoxy down in the recoil lug "compartment" and set the action and barrel down in it. The back of the lug does not make contact with the stock at all. I've always been told that the ONLY part of the lug that should touch anything is the back, but that it SHOULD be flush against it. There is no other bedding, just this mess around the recoil lug. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions concerning this?
Thanks

Isaiah 41:10

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own three A-Bolts and it seems that as time passed Browning used more and more bedding material. My oldest is the same as you describe in the bedding dept. and the one I just purchased new is bedded about two to three inches in front and behind of the recoil lug. The factory synthetic stock on them is pretty cheesy (not very rigid), but they all shoot good, which is why I keep going bock to the A-Bolts. If necessary, I would first try to rebed the action. If no luck I would look into a better synthetic stock. Good Luck.
Woody

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My A-Bolt Medallion's glass bedding is not anything I'd brag about. The epoxy seems to make contact with the recoil lug most, but not all the way across.

I am the sort of person who routinely ignores the admonition not to fix things that are not broken, and I am repeatedly tempted to re-do the bedding. I suppose I will fix it some day. The rifle shoots groups slightly larger than 2" at 200 yards as it is, so I may never get around to it. If I have the time for a job like that, I'll use it to shoot more, typically.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote