New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filing an express sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK tired of buying NECG front sights and spending hours filing them and finding that I still am shooting way high. Time to file the fixed express sight on a CZ 550 .458. My question is: What is the best way to do this? Keep the V notch ot take a rat tail and make a arc in the bottom of the notch that fits the Front sight? The latter sounds easier.

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
OK tired of buying NECG front sights and spending hours filing them and finding that I still am shooting way high.

That's funny!

Before you go any further, make sure you understand what direction the bullet will move when using the file. What direction do you want the bullet to go?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question as he left me confused too.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, good advice. but definitely deep the shallow V notch. But HOLD ON; if you are shooting high, you should NOT be filing on the front sight; that makes it shoot higher. Remember, move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullets to go; and the FRONT sight in the opposite direction. Quit filing until you get this straight. How high is it shooting, exactly? And at what range?

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He confused me as well.

Their are two sights so you can change the front as well.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Oy Veh! Mein Gott en Himmel!

1. To make the rifle shoot higher, file the front sight lower. To make the rifle shoot lower, file the rear sight lower.

2. As you can't file the front sight taller, or the rear sight taller either, you just have to file on the correct one! To identify which one that is, see "1" immediately above.

As to whether to use a shallow V or either a square or "U" shape in the rear sight, I prefer a very shallow "V" for two reasons...First it lets me see more of the stuff around whatever I am aiming at and, Second, I find it easier to tell how far down into the rear sight I am holding the front sight. But to each his own. File whichever one you like best. Just make sure you are filing on the correct sight to start with.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find out how much correction you need and get the proper front sight bead replacement. Brownells has a chart to show how much you may need.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The formula for sight height correction is "FORS" front oposite rear same and to get the amount of correction is also simple with the amount of error in inches multiplied by the sight radiusin inches divided by the distance to target in inches.
If you are shooting 6 inches high at 50 yards and there is 24inches between your front and rear sight then
6 x 24 = 144 divided by (50x36=1800) =.08 and that is how much you would need to file the rear sight down or get a front sight .08 higher.
Put your particular numbers in this formula and you are good to go.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK let me clarify-has anyone tried to fit the NECG front sights into the dovetail on a CZ-550? They make them "oversize" so you have to fit them. And I mean oversize. You have to file the base and sides to get it to fit. I've done it twice and I am sick of "guessing" what height the front sight needs to be. (yes I called etc.) but you obviously file some height off. Yes I know how to move point of impact-duh! I am going to LOWER the rear notch to lower impact point-hence filing the v-notch.

Sorry for the confusion LOL

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
OK let me clarify-has anyone tried to fit the NECG front sights into the dovetail on a CZ-550? They make them "oversize" so you have to fit them. And I mean oversize. You have to file the base and sides to get it to fit. I've done it twice and I am sick of "guessing" what height the front sight needs to be. (yes I called etc.) but you obviously file some height off. Yes I know how to move point of impact-duh! I am going to LOWER the rear notch to lower impact point-hence filing the v-notch.

Sorry for the confusion LOL

DON'T take any material off the sides of the front side dovetail!!!

the amount to take off of the bottom is minimal really and won't affect the overall height. Find out how much you need and then fit the insert, not rocket science.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
popcorn

HA!

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
popcorn

HA!

Just wanted to see how this devoloped. Smiler

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the shop, we use special fixtures to hold the rear sight and blades to cut the notches with a specially ground 140 degree end mill.

Vey precise and we get it "dead nuts" Not taking in such work myself, but Steve Button also has the tools

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the shop, we use special fixtures to hold the rear sight and blades to cut the notches with a specially ground 140 degree end mill.

Vey precise and we get it "dead nuts"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still prefer Patridge sights. That's what I started life using and still use it !
The square post and square notch provide more accurate vertical and horizontal indexing ! Smiler

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
More accurate to be sure, but much slower.

For me, the patridge sight on rifle is the slowest of all sights. Might be me, but I grew up with this type of sights on revolvers.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Patridge style can be made LOTS faster by widening the notch. The loss of precision caused by the wider notch is negligible and with most shooters it wouldn't even be enough to be measurable.

However IMO the wide vee is always fsster IF the centerline below the notch is CLEARLY delineated by a platinum line or ivory triangle.

Many years ago Finn Aagard did some testing using his own Westley Richards Mauser 458 Win Mag. He tested the original wide vee against a peep mounted on the rear bridge, comparing close-range accuracy and total firing stroke times.

IIRC he found little difference, once he became accustomed to each system. Perhaps some of you can recall this test better than I can....(grin)
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like the right way to do it!

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

Vey precise and we get it "dead nuts" Not taking in such work myself, but Steve Button also has the tools

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I use that style on competition handguns but I likke the peep as well. Well the gun went into the shop to get modified so it is out of my hand now! Thanks for the input

quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
The Patridge style can be made LOTS faster by widening the notch. The loss of precision caused by the wider notch is negligible and with most shooters it wouldn't even be enough to be measurable.

However IMO the wide vee is always fsster IF the centerline below the notch is CLEARLY delineated by a platinum line or ivory triangle.

Many years ago Finn Aagard did some testing using his own Westley Richards Mauser 458 Win Mag. He tested the original wide vee against a peep mounted on the rear bridge, comparing close-range accuracy and total firing stroke times.

IIRC he found little difference, once he became accustomed to each system. Perhaps some of you can recall this test better than I can....(grin)
Regards, Joe

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still prefer Patridge sights. That's what I started life using and still use it !
The square post and square notch provide more accurate vertical and horizontal indexing !

quote:
More accurate to be sure, but much slower.

For me, the patridge sight on rifle is the slowest of all sights. Might be me, but I grew up with this type of sights on revolvers.

My first rifle was an M-16 with a three prong flash suppressor/"C" ration cable twist off device. I have done equally well with all three types of sights - peep, partridge and shallow V.

When I started using Sakos with partridge sights I was hunting thick stuff, and left the scope at home. Then I started using the Sako peep with the 100 meter and 200 meter settings. I was young, and forgot about using a scope until I turned forty.

In bright sunlight I like the shallow V; just one leaf though. Get closer. Nothing compares to making it into shotgun range, and swinging you Rigby shotgun style.

The fixture sounds good. Hunt in the daylight, sleep or eat at dusk. Yeah, that is the ticket.

John

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it all dialed in then sent it to AHR and redid it all. It was a good learning experience anyway!

White Mountains Arizona