Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher magazine query
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted
Anyone have any ideas on where a replacement magazine could be found for the one in the pictures? This plastic one comes from a Mannlicher in 243W calibre belonging to a hunting friend of my brother and suffered a failure of the main 'hub' of the spool which ended up in 3 pieces.

My brother used some thin carbon fibre tape and epoxy to resurrect the plastic spool but could not get the end back in which connects to the internal spring and tensions the spool. Suspected some of the epoxy had set in and around the spring. I took over and managed after some time and effort to free up the spring and get everything back together and working freely again.

In the process I had to exert quite some pressure on the components and the assembly held together well so I think the repair should be good for some time at least.

The magazine holds 3 rounds, I have not seen the rifle so do not know what the model it is but can find out. I have done a search and it seems rare for the Mannlichers to have a plastic spool but I cannot find out much more about them or what metal models would replace it.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Is this it. Steyr SL. Good Luck

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
check your pm

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pm richj. I should have added a bit more to my post.
I am sure it is an earlier year Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle and has a fixed magazine, the bottom plate clips more or less at right angles to the bottom of the unit shown in the photos then when inserted in the rifle swivels around and locks the magazine into the rifle. Only removable to service or clean, cartridges load from the top.

Just found out that the rifle is a M72 model.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Mate, I am no Manlicher Schoenauer exper but did own 3 rifles and still have 2.

I am a bit confused by your post. M72 is a more recent model fron the 1980 or later IIRC.

The rotary spool magazine (yours is one too) were from the model 1900 and made legendary by the Model 1903 & its variants like the 1905, 1908, 1910 etc which basically identical with caliber changes. This gets more confusing as the older calibers were still being made - well into the 1930s.

To answer your question

Just check this thread of mine & see if the magazine looks familiar
http://forums.accuratereloadin...791079581#3791079581

Here is a photo of my rifle's magazine for the 9.5X57MS cartridge or 375 Mannlicher - model 1910, made before 1924.

To my eyes, your magazine looks like it has been modified for a non-standard cartridge after rebarrelling the rifle. The "U" piece looks like an alteration added to keep the ammo in line. Even the central spool spidle looks like it has been added later. The finish is just not the pristine tidy Mannlicher trademark. JMHO. I may be wrong.

To answer your question - firstly you need to be sure what model & caliber the rifle is. Is your photo only part of the mag?

See this for the magazine spool for the 1903 Greek MS probably in 6.5X54 MS http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1065150.htm

You can also try Eric Schoder at http://www.eschoder.com/englis...glish-Geschichte.htm. He has been prompt in replying to emails in the past & he should know exactly what rifle you have & what you need.

Also try Tom at Mannlicher Schoenauer collectors' association. http://mannlicherschoenauer.com/accessories.htm The association website is no longer maintained (Sorry - it is back on line but no forum) but Tom used to be very good. I have lost touch with him in the last 5 or so years.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Hi Naki

Yes the M72 is a later model Mannlicher made between 1972 and 1980 according to one source when googling. In referring to "an earlier year" in my reply to richj I was meaning it was not the later models now still on the market.

Now that I got the model number from my brother this morning I have done a search and come across a post by GG375 who has owned a couple of these M72 Mannlichers and they do have the plastic spooled magazine as in my photos.
He had a M72 in 243W too and said he had to replace the plastic spool a couple of times. I have sent him a PM to find out some more details.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=997105856#997105856

The magazine is standard and the aluminium housing is a factory casting, there has been no alteration. The complete magazine has a twist and lock floor plate which the rifle owner has. I've only got the insert which I've managed to get operating again, but for how long is the question!

Apparently the rifle is in good condition and a slick shooter. It would be handy to get a spare magazine insert even if it was an original plastic one, even better a metal one if such a thing could be found.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.