Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Barrel Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted
I have an Alex Henry falling block 450 3 1/4 with a very light 29 1/2" tube.The shallow Herny rifleing looks terrible and very dark.I haven't fired it because of the cost to gear up to the 450 ctg.but I assume it won't shoot too well.
I am considering having a new barrel fitted to match the origional contures. Relining is out according to Redmans relining service of Omak, Wash. because of the very small diameter of the barrel.
Can anyone suggest a gunsmith capable of duplicating the origional barrel with the flats at the breech.
Thanks
AkMike

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I would give Mark Stratton a call. He does custom octagon barrels. I bet he could do it. He just finished one for me. He is reasonably priced, the work came in on time and he's very easy to communicate with (very important.)

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I've had two #1's done with octagonal barrels by johntaylormachine.com. He is Washington state. If you need more information or want to see them let me know. I'm in Anchorage too.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
This is basicly a round tube with oversized flats at the breech end.

AlexHenry

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'd confirm that the barrel is actually bad before you go rebarreling an Alex Henry. I've had a few of his BPE's and some of the barrels looked a little rough but shot well nonetheless. This gun was designed to shoot paper pathced bullets. If you need a good primer on shooting a paper patched bullet in a Henry rifled barrel, Ross Seyfried wrote an excellent article in Rifle magazine some years ago. Sherman Bell has as well in the Doublegun Journal. I apologize if my post comes off sounding as though I'm speaking to a novice... it isn't intended to. I love old black powder express rifles and Alex Henry's are at the top of my list. I hate to see them lose their barrels when they can still be made to shoot the way they were intended to be shot. The real key is knowing the bullet weight the rifle was regulated to. You can also make a lead slug for the bore and lapp the barrel lightly and probably take off some of the roughness of the bore.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Brianbos comments. I've had several BPEs with rough bores that shot quite well and smoothed up with a little use and cleaning. Plus you have a huge advantage in a bore diameter that has a large number of available bullets, an easy case to work with and a lot of good data. Don't want to sound preachy but remember you are the temporary caretaker of a fine example of the gunmakers art. Best.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'd be happy to send you some information on paper patching. It's not difficult and kinda fun... the ultimate retro reloading.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer but I can and do roll my own with a Ballard and a Bullard. The tube on this one is too rough IMO

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd put that opinion to the test and shoot it first. You just might save some bucks, and keep that grand old girl original.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I had one many years ago, a double 500 BPE that was rough. So rough that it would strip the paper patch mid-bore. I slugged and lapped it and it shot surprisingly well after that. I'd think long and hard about who to send it to, as I'm sure you're doing... Martini & Hagn, Monte Mandarino, Pete Mazur would be on the list, but Martini & Hagn would be the ones I'd most likely go to.

Regards,
Brian

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I could try lapping the bore. It couldn't hurt any!
Some of you guys seem to think I'm butchering this rifle! No way! I'm just talking about changing the barrel with out any other changes, no wood changes no other metal work. The origional barrel would go with the rifle IF I ever sell it.
I've done the same thing to a first year(1885) mfg'd high thick wall with a swelled out chamber. It did no harm and now it works. The factory pipe is still here and will go with it if and when I sell.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote: