THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-14/M1A receivers... Mr. Ricks & Mr. Belk..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mr. Ricks & Mr. Belk,
I need to procure three M-14/M1A(semi-auto of course) receivers for a match rifle build up. The rifles will be built with the best of parts from McMillan, Krieger, and NM/USGI small parts. I would like to use the best receiver possible for this rifle. I've been told that the Enterprise Arms M-14A2 Milled Receivers are a crap shoot and not recommended. I've actually had only two receivers recommended. One being either the Norinco or Polytech Chicom Receivers without their bolts or a new Springfield Armory M1A Receiver. I've been told the "Original Smith Forged Receiver" were the best, however, they are not to be found. I would greatly appreciate your insight into this question.

Regards, Matt Garrett.
Chesapeake, Virginia

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised by the Norinco/Chicom recommendations. Several years ago American Rifleman or Guns magazines did a "torcher test" on the Chinese copies and they're receivers didn't fare well. You might try to find a copy of the articles.

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the Norico. Armscorp has had a lot of quality problems. The safest bet is to go with a Springfield. Not that they have not had some problems, but at least they will send you a new receiver if it has a problem. You can also get the Springfield with the rear lug already installed. As with any Gasgun, the more important issue is who you chose to build the rifle.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Several years ago a friend bought a Norinco and after shooting just a few matches, the rear sight would not hold elevation. Insufficient tension on the spanner nut in center of windage knob can cause this problem, but unfortunately this was not the case.

A little further investigation revealed the receiver was soft and the "teeth" which engage the elevation detent had been worn smooth.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing but a Springfield double lug reciever, dig deep but their the best by far. [Wink] I'm surprised the others were recommended AT ALL. I watched a guy shoot 6 into a nickle at 100 yards with his new barrel the other day getting ready for the Highpower season on a bench rest. Mine would put 180 Sciroccos under .7" at 100 yards with 43gr of Varget.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay guys.. let's put some of these rumors to bed

1: fulton armory (custom builder) recommends the POLYTECH (like the olds vs chev) over the norinco. The "norinco" has less QC, actions, with fitted trw bolts

2: Who's even shot the various models out there? I have shot some of them... Ive shot the us m14, my polytech, and 2 different springfields.. one "regular" and one NM.

3: My particular polytech shoots sub moa, with SA or malisan(sp) ammo... thousands of them

4: my polytech (yeah, it's a sample of one) FAR outshoots the couple CMP garands I've been around

5: for 499 canadian (you can't get new one in the the US), (like 270 us) you simpley can't beat them.

I have SHOT my polytech... it still outshoots me

jeffe

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Stay away from the Norico. Armscorp has had a lot of quality problems. The safest bet is to go with a Springfield. Not that they have not had some problems, but at least they will send you a new receiver if it has a problem. You can also get the Springfield with the rear lug already installed. As with any Gasgun, the more important issue is who you chose to build the rifle.

John

John,
Armscorp rewelds demiled recievers, don't they? Yep... If they are using norincos, that's new news to me
jeffe

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After I posted that and went back and reread it I noticed it looked like I was implying that the Armscorp was a norico. That was not my intention. Armscorp makes there own receivers, but I have not had good luck with them. If you get a good one they are fine, but the odds of that are not good.

I had someone ask me to rebuild a Polyteck for them once. After I got it about half way apart I decided to put it right back together and hand it back to them. I didn't want anything to do with it.

Any of them can make into an accurate rifle if properly built. And, each of them have had some bad receivers get out. I have seen Armscorp with rear sight ears that were not straight and you could not make a rear sight work on them. I have seen Armscorp with the left lug raceway not correctly machined. I have seen Springfields that have cracked due to being to hard, and I have seen them that were to soft. I used to rebuild a lot of state m-14's, and even they had a lot of variation between receivers.

All things considered, I would much rather take my chances with a Springfield. I had a bad Armscorp receiver once and could not get any satisfaction out of Armscorp. Sprinfield heard about my problems and replaced my Armsorp receiver with a Springfield receiver for free. You can't beat service like that.

And yes, I have shot a lot of them, and have shot my way into the top 5 civilian service rifle shooters overall at Perry several times with them back before all the serious shooters went to the AR. [Eek!]

John

[ 04-14-2003, 04:24: Message edited by: gasgunner ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I do not touch gas guns. Bolt actions only!

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
ME TOO!!

I haven't touched one since I gave up the Arms Room keys to Uncle Sam's representive in 1967.

I set a range record at Ft Jackson with a Winchester in Basic, and had a pet TRW in Korea and another at Benning.

That's the only gas center-fire rifle I crave. I'd LOVE to own one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why waste the time and money on an M-14 based match rifle?

Do you want to be competitive? Build an AR-15 match rifle.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Ricks & Mr. Belk,
Sorry gents. Read too much into the metalurgy thread...(grin)

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your input.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gasgunner, is that you John H.?

KevinNY (NYS SR Team)

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Axel>
posted
I agree with Jeffeosso. No better M14 made on earth than a Polytech. They universally shoot subMOA out of the box with practically any milsurp ammo! [Wink]

Axel

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
Hey Gasgunner, is that you John H.?

KevinNY (NYS SR Team)

Dang, I was hoping you guys wouldn't find me over here. I guess I should have used a different handle. [Cool]

LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
Why waste the time and money on an M-14 based match rifle?

Do you want to be competitive? Build an AR-15 match rifle.

[Roll Eyes]

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote