Find
Notify
Tools

Just a trivial question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted
We all know the SKS rifle. Simple, rugged, relatively inexpensive, fugly(to some). I wander how much a rifle exactly like the SKS would cost if manufactured in the US. Plus what changes would you like to see made to the rifle?

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just my guess, at retail, it would be a lower price than the mini30, assuming it would meet the product safety guidelines... that's assuming the threaded barrel variant.

if it's the pressed barrel, why, more like the rem 710... 300 bucks..

things to be improved...

the mini-30 covered it, even down to the .308 barrel

seriously, i would prefer better sights and a trimmed trigger..

the mag could/should take m16 7.62x39 mags

jeffe

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If they were made here, for starters plan on seeing a lot of molded thermoplastic replacing sheet metal. Matte black finish probably too, perhaps with a nickel plating upgrade option. Operating wise the sights could use a tiny bit more finesse, maybe a hooded williams in the front.

Posts: 7765 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My trivial response; The best improvement for the SKS would be derived by running over them with an M1 several times. JMO

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Russian, Chinese, Romainian, Yugo, and Albainian.

The Yugo is well made, and the Albainian is a P.O.S.

I would imagine a big difference in the cost to produce that wide range of quality.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
A production line could be set to build and sell them in sufficient quatities at retail for about $199.99.There could be many cost reduction modifications that would bring that down to $187.54.This is all pie in the sky because if it were done who would buy them? I've owned the Chinese and the Russian. They make great walk around the desert fun type plinking rifles but when it comes to any serious use I think u can shine it on.For what it was designed for it was better than the M1 Garand or M1 carbine. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote