New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Extractor Bulge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a couple simple questions I hope. I have a recently acquired Whitworth/Interarms .416 Rem built by F.R. Wells. It doesn't have the cutout on the left found on military models. The extractor has an outward bulge in its middle and not only is the bluing worn off that spot but a half inch or so is worn smooth and a quarter inch is worn about as deeply as I would want it.

The bolt drops all the way when you release it with the muzzle up, although there's a very slight binding noticed as the bulge passes thru.

I'm interested in understanding what's going on and getting a fix on whether it needs attention. Is this normal, or abnormal?

Second question, completely unrelated...what Mauser action would be appropriate for the .257 Weatherby Mag? Is the military 98 OK?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The extractor is a spring. Extractors were made by lots of different companies and they are not all the same. It is very, very common for the extractor to lightly contact the inside of the rear bridge when working the bolt. It is not an issue.

You can fit a .257 Weatherby into a standard length Mauser-type action

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I gather then that not all extractors were made equal. Some may have been flatter than others, and this one probably came with the bulge? Or, can that occur from shooting?

In any event, I was mainly just interested in learning about it, and will consider it as you said a non issue.

That .257 is an interesting gun to shoot. It has a different kind of report than an '06...more drawn out. The cartridges are rather wide and almost odd looking with that real small bullet. I have no idea the chamber pressure, but assumed it must be pretty high. That was the real purpose of the question on it.

Anyhow, I second your recommendation on the NRA. I have just renewed my NRA membership and donated a little extra also. Others here should do the same. If nothing else, consider it a form of "insurance" on the gun collection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is pretty common to see.
It can also be affected by the fit and dimensions of the extractor ring.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote