New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Rem.to .260 Rem.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've recently rebarreled a Rem. Model 600, .243 Win. to .358 Win. This was a very simple conversion as the two rounds share the same parent. There was no bolt-face work; no magazine problems and no feed-rail alteration.

Now my buddy wants to do something similar with his Model 600, but he wants to convert from 6mm Rem. to .260 Rem. -- two dissimilar cases. I know nothing about the 6mm Rem., other than it is, ballistically, similar to the .243.

Will he run into any feeding or bolt-face problems?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
.260 Rem parent case is .308 Win and 6mm Rem parent case is 7x57 Mauser. So comparing parent cases you could notice the difference.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
I've recently rebarreled a Rem. Model 600, .243 Win. to .358 Win. This was a very simple conversion as the two rounds share the same parent. There was no bolt-face work; no magazine problems and no feed-rail alteration.

Now my buddy wants to do something similar with his Model 600, but he wants to convert from 6mm Rem. to .260 Rem. -- two dissimilar cases. I know nothing about the 6mm Rem., other than it is, ballistically, similar to the .243.

Will he run into any feeding or bolt-face problems?

No
Have him check the 600 Rem parts price list.
Check to see that the 6mm and the .243/.308 use the same magazine box. If they don't he just needs to buy the .308 magazine box.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm Rem is the 7 x 57 case necked down.
The 260 Rem is the 308 Win case necked down.
The 6mm Rem case is longer than the 260.
Bolt face is the same.
A rebarrel should be easy .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
The 6mm Rem is the 7 x 57 case necked down.
The 260 Rem is the 308 Win case necked down.
The 6mm Rem case is longer than the 260.
Bolt face is the same.
A rebarrel should be easy .

I think that would be a very good use for any unloved 6 m/m Remington. He could do it even cheaper by buying a new "take-off" Remington .260 barrel and then getting a standard Remington .308 magazine box.

Also is an excellent conversion for a Remington 722 action if a person has one.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't say for sure that there will be problems, but if you have any .243 cases sitting around from your original rifle, I'd put a couple (empty or inert) in the magazine of his rifle and see if it will feed them. Could give a pretty good indication of what you are up against.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote