New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 54
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for an original stock for a Winchester model 54 and have just about exhausted all my resources. Anybody have one laying around that they would like to get rid of?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might want to post it in the classifies also.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try Ahlmans gun shop in Minnesota

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19Romeo:
try Ahlmans gun shop in Minnesota

Nothing at Ahlman's but thanks for the lead.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Are you restoring it or shooting it?

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This probably doesn't help, but a pre-war model 70 stock can be made to fit with a little effort. The Model 70 stock will have a larger cutout for the bolt handle, and you will need to either use a Model 70 trigger guard and floorplate (which means you need to drill the receiver to accept the front screw) or do a bit of inletting to accept the slightly longer Model 54 bottom metal.
I only bring this up as they seem to come up much more frequently on GB and Ebay.

Posts: 49 | Location: Plymouth, MA | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is why I asked him if it is a correct restoration, or he just wants something to shoot. Model 70 stocks are easy to get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Are you restoring it or shooting it?

It's just a replacement for a pretty well beat up original. The metal is in pretty good condition. I don't think he wants to pay me to do a lot of work on it if he can just find another stock.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would get a Boyds M70; fill in the front and rear of the TG area with wood or aluminum plugs. Inlet for the worm band. Cut bolt handle notch. Shoot it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think some stylist would have a pattern stock..A stockmaker could easily carve one out to specs for you..I made one some years ago for a carbine with the slots in the forearm and had Scott McCracken copy it for a custom, he kept the pattern stock I made and he has since passed away, but he lived in Los Vegas, at the time and had a shop at home as I recall...You might be able to locate him thru some of the gun smiths there??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I would think some stylist would have a pattern stock..A stockmaker could easily carve one out to specs for you..I made one some years ago for a carbine with the slots in the forearm and had Scott McCracken copy it for a custom, he kept the pattern stock I made and he has since passed away, but he lived in Los Vegas, at the time and had a shop at home as I recall...You might be able to locate him thru some of the gun smiths there??

How does one locate a dead guy? And what do you do if/when you locate him?

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has the OP cheeked an original M54 stock?

If the OP wants to shoot his M54, those pre War, original stocks were set up for iron sights, and the buttstock is low for a scope. They can be used, but the cheek weld is more of a neck weld.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
Has the OP cheeked an original M54 stock?

If the OP wants to shoot his M54, those pre War, original stocks were set up for iron sights, and the buttstock is low for a scope. They can be used, but the cheek weld is more of a neck weld.
Not to mention the safety 'flag'. I just managed to talk a client out of drilling and tapping one, last week. I think "drop at heel" was going over his head, but the safety issue he could understand. I'd think finding an original stock, in any kinda' shape, would be like a unicorn hunt.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The major issue with the stock is that someone cut it front to back through the comb and added another piece of wood to that so it would be easier to use a scope. The owner wants to put it back to it's original design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
The major issue with the stock is that someone cut it front to back through the comb and added another piece of wood to that so it would be easier to use a scope. The owner wants to put it back to it's original design.
Someone who does stock duplication has a pattern. I'd suggest you check Wenig, but be aware, they leave plenty of wood on the outside, so the fitter/maker can make almost any change he might want.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A model 54 "carbine stock" on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33426...0:g:QgkAAOSw8IFhyQ6g

it has a lot of character. Ah hem.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
A model 54 "carbine stock" on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33426...0:g:QgkAAOSw8IFhyQ6g

it has a lot of character. Ah hem.......

Buy it and have it duplicated. Or get a semi-inlet from Richard's Micro Fit.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You locate a dead guy with his name, then ask his wife if she still has all his tools and pattern stocks..Most gunsmiths know all the other gunsmiths in a town..Sillist damn question Ive ever seen on AR...LE does it all the time..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is true. Easy to find dead guys; I found an old friend of my wife's yesterday; google the name and city and her obit popped right up. No wonder the Christmas card got returned.
Did I read that the OP has a stock that has been modified in the comb? If so, it would be easy to put it back to original form and have it duplicated. You have the pattern in your hands...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
You locate a dead guy with his name, then ask his wife if she still has all his tools and pattern stocks..Most gunsmiths know all the other gunsmiths in a town..Sillist damn question Ive ever seen on AR...LE does it all the time..

Went right over your head.

As I've said, if nothing else, you always entertain.

Happy New Year!

one of us
posted Hide Post
rcraig,
Your such a sneaky little fart! Youve out foxed once again I think!! moon

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120