Terry

Good Lord, what a good looking rifle.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
[QUOTE]They just don't build them like this anymore.

Isn't that strange. The stuff that people want and covet isn't built anymore.

quote:
The real question is would you be willing to pay for a set[QUOTE]

Or maybe you should pay Terry for the use of his action to make your first set.

I have the dimensions. Just need one to fit it too. But I have enough irons in the fire right now. And If I was going to use an action I'd buy one. I won't rent anyones eqipment

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some very nice rifles posted, I'm a fan of Mausers but my favorite is the 21H - I have one in 7x57 and an action & stock for another, it will likely end up a 9.3x57. Should anyone be interested in "copying" the original scope mounting system I would be willing to take pics. & measurements. One of the nice features is you loosen a knob on the rear mount, on the right side and the whole thing slides off backwards. Except for the release mechanism it should not be a huge challenge to copy the system. --- John303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
I am pretty sure I have seen a BRNO or two with screwed in bases?

Boxhead, do a little research on the BRNO 21H. It has integral mounts just like a CZ550. NOBODY except Conetrol that I'm aware of makes a base for this action. Yes, I'm sure I could drill some holes in the action and have bases fitted. I could also change the bolt handle and that would open up a lot of options. The problem with that is this is a pristine 100% correct BRNO 21h that's worth a lot of money and instantly worth a lot less if I use a drill or hacksaw on it.

These are only mounts made today that will work on a un-altered BRNO 21h. Warren made some vertical split super high CZ Premier rings at one time but not anymore.

Terry

Terry,

Yes understand. Used to own a couple of them but I am pretty certain that they were made without the "integral sqaure bridge bases" and utilized a standard screw in base. I am sure I saw a couple as such when I was living in Canada which, by the way, is where I bought the two I had. A bunch of them up there it seemed. Buy the way, I like Conetrols too.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yes, but that's not the type I own or posted pictures of. Plus as stated I do not want to alter this rifle in any form or fashion.

Beautiful rifle BTW.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boxhead: Used to own a couple of them but I am pretty certain that they were made without the "integral sqaure bridge bases" and utilized a standard screw in base.

The earlier 21/22s were standard small ring Mausers and did not come drilled and tapped, although some were equiped with claw systems. Had beautiful knurled receiver rings. Supposedly Brno utilized left over VZ33 actions. I personally would never drill one, would select something else if I needed a scope.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Terry. I know what you mean. Holehan builds up bases and then machines them. He used Warne rings on my Rigby. I wanted to get a set of bases so that I could have a third scope to be used as a back up for either the Rigby or a .375 H&H. I couldn't find a set of Warne Bases that would take the Premieres. Gave up on that project. Just bought another scope.

What is the dovetail width? Have you considered looking at some of the AR15 type of rings that go into the rails? Some of those fuckers are TALL......

These bases were made by Jim DuBel:

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifles FMC.

I talked with kcstott today on the phone. He's going to build me a set of vertical split rings from scratch that fit directly to the factory dovetails. I think it'll have a nice look when he's finished.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beautiful scope mounts. Gorgeous rifle!! Did you also do the stockwork on it? Checkering?

Mike Kokolus copied one of my patterns and I finished it. I still havn't figured out how to make all those lines even so for now, no checkering.

quote:
talked with kcstott today on the phone. He's going to build me a set of vertical split rings from scratch that fit directly to the factory dovetails

I think thats proably your best bet, at least you know Kerry will do fine work.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC1: I talked with kcstott today on the phone. He's going to build me a set of vertical split rings from scratch that fit directly to the factory dovetails. I think it'll have a nice look when he's finished.

Terry, please post pics after you get them, might want a set myself. I like the old Warne Premier detachables but hard to find.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
TC1: I talked with kcstott today on the phone. He's going to build me a set of vertical split rings from scratch that fit directly to the factory dovetails. I think it'll have a nice look when he's finished.

Terry, please post pics after you get them, might want a set myself. I like the old Warne Premier detachables but hard to find.

Will do tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the old Warne Premier detachables but hard to find.

My favorite too. The Warne Premiers fit the same dovetail as the Kimbers and also the standard 22RF tipoff dovetails. James Wisner was kind enough to provide us with actual measurements and they are very slightly different but IMO not enough to matter.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I like the Warne Premiers too, I really liked the old Talley's with the single screw at the top.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I like the Warne Premiers too, I really liked the old Talley's with the single screw at the top. Terry

I gotta confess to hoarding a few sets of the sleek single-screw Kimber lever rings in all 3 heights. They are tops IMO 'cause they're slightly more versatile than the Talleys due to their slightly-smaller dovetail size. Almost identical to the Billingsley/Brownell and Griffin & Howe top mounts and they return to zero dead nuts, what's not to love?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The earlier 21/22s were standard small ring Mausers and did not come drilled and tapped, although some were equiped with claw systems. Had beautiful knurled receiver rings. Supposedly Brno utilized left over VZ33 actions. I personally would never drill one, would select something else if I needed a scope.

Brno commercial small ring round top models can be found without bolt guide ribs and no slots in rear bridge.
They have war surplus components that were created using time/money saving wartime production methods.
I would not hesitate to use one for a scoped custom build.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Approximate cost of adding Weaver scope bases to Trax's rifle, $886.

(bases $8 each, D&T 4 holes $120, 1 hour shop time $50, rifle depreciation $700)

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I couldn't imagine myself cutting it up either.

Terry

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I assume the kcstott rings will look similar to Katies Guns, which are similar to Tom Burgess', only perhaps with a single top screw:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about every other industry in the world uses clamps for something or other. The auto industry, the plumbing industry, and hundreds more industries, often under very high pressure.

I still don't see why, if someone wanted to use some of these beautiful BRNO and other early rifles with a scope, that they don't clamp the scope bases on instead of drilling holes in that beautiful knurlig on that front ring.

There must be some way to fit a pair of some sort of clamps over that ring to hold down a scope base.

(What a beautiful Rifle!!!! I wonder if that type of safety lever could be adopted to a Mark X bolt sleeve so you wouldn't have to use a trigger safety?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
We talked again yesterday. They should LOOK simular but I don't think they are going to cam like the Burgess mounts. They will be more like the Talley/Warne style.

Have you seen the new "knock offs" Brownells is selling?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You mean these? Hadn't seen them: Brno/CZ-Rings

If you enlarge one of the photos, it appears there are exposed locking screws on the side opposite the detach levers. On Warne Premiers, they are hidden under the side of the detach lever, preferable to me.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Just about every other industry in the world uses clamps for something or other. The auto industry, the plumbing industry, and hundreds more industries, often under very high pressure.

I still don't see why, if someone wanted to use some of these beautiful BRNO and other early rifles with a scope, that they don't clamp the scope bases on instead of drilling holes in that beautiful knurlig on that front ring.

There must be some way to fit a pair of some sort of clamps over that ring to hold down a scope base.

(What a beautiful Rifle!!!! I wonder if that type of safety lever could be adopted to a Mark X bolt sleeve so you wouldn't have to use a trigger safety?

Anything can be done. But is it feasable??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Approximate cost of adding Weaver scope bases to Trax's rifle, $886.

(bases $8 each, D&T 4 holes $120, 1 hour shop time $50, rifle depreciation $700)

I would never commission such low grade work.

I see no sacrelidge in [or difference between] drilling & tapping such a round top Brno commercial SR action and doing same to a G33/40 action, which is often done for fine customs, to the delight & admiration of many.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Is it your rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
I see no sacrelidge in [or difference between] drilling & tapping such a round top Brno commercial SR action and doing same to a G33/40 action, .

IMO that is a totally misguided statement. I suggest that you go buy a nice Brno and have it D&Ted, and THEN come and tell us how you see no difference!

IOW put your money where your mouth is.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
... I suggest that you go buy a nice Brno and have it D&Ted, and THEN come and tell us how you see no difference!

IOW put your money where your mouth is.
Regards, Joe

Your a few decades late with your suggestion, I already have modified my fair share of orig. small ring Brnos as well as pristine 1908 & 1909 Mauser actions.
- NO regrets.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I always wondered who butchered those round-top 21/22s I passed up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

On the one hand we have a few thousand beautiful and somewhat individualistic sporting rifles while on the other hand we have tens of thousands of ugly military rifles that are all as alike as peas in a pod.

Which is more worth preserving?

I guess it depends upon the guy's aesthetic enlightenment and his need to win a cyber argument.....
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rest assured it wasn't me, I've never attempted to sell a round top Brno.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
On the one hand we have a few thousand beautiful and somewhat individualistic sporting rifles while on the other hand we have tens of thousands of ugly military rifles that are all as alike as peas in a pod.

Which is more worth preserving?
Joe

An all orig. military g33/40 rifle is market valued much higher than an orig. Brno 22 roundtop commercial 98.
Some guys would prefer preserving the std. alpine issue g33/40.
and there are also immensely more costly-ultra rare military M98 rifles, that collectors would climb over a rack of relatively more common Oberndorf sporters or commercial Brnos to get to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
An all orig. military g33/40 rifle is market valued much higher than an orig. Brno 22 roundtop commercial 98.

Firstly I believe your statement is incorrect or largely incorrect. My friend Clarence the Collector (the notorious and merciless gun show shark, grin) recently sold a nice complete g.33/40 for less than $1000.

Secondly we're talking aesthetics and NOT market value. I know lots of guys who love fancy Weatherbys too, and would gladly brush aside any number of g.33/40s, Banners and Brnos to get a good one.

So what? Are you putting yourself in that sort of category?
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J.D.Steele:

Firstly I believe your statement is incorrect or largely incorrect. My friend Clarence the Collector (the notorious and merciless gun show shark, grin) recently sold a nice complete g.33/40 for less than $1000.

IF it has all matching numbers, it Sounds like a good deal, congrats to the buyer.

Secondly we're talking aesthetics and NOT market value. I know lots of guys who love fancy Weatherbys too, and would gladly brush aside any number of g.33/40s, Banners and Brnos to get a good one.

Its their money, if a fancy Weatherby is what they prefer/makes them happy, good luck to them.
I have no objection to them making a personal choice their fully entitled to make for themselves.

So what? Are you putting yourself in that sort of category?

what category is that exactly? ...I can tell you I actually don't mind LW Weatherbys in syn/stainless[to some degree],
.. but prefer my custom wood stocked rifles to be on modified/upgraded Brno commercial mauser actions, or similar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I already have modified my fair share of orig. small ring Brnos as well as pristine 1908 & 1909 Mauser actions.- NO regrets.

quote:
Rest assured it wasn't me, I've never attempted to sell a round top Brno.

So, why don't you show us pics of some of these fine examples of custom alteration, complete with your proud smiling face behind them?

So far, all the pics you've shown appear to have been copied from the internet....
Regards, Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although they are not common the 21's came in a round top version as well as the standard dovetailed receiver bridges. My son has a mint 21F of this type with a Meopta scope/mount system on it. Both of mine (21H and 22H) are the dovetailed version. His round top is the only one of that type I've handled and it was not modified in any manner.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Approximately 20,000 round-top 21/22s were made, same number as dovetail versions, a little over 40,000 total, from 1949-1955. Some round tops were built with sweat-on scope bases, usually see-through, Meopta scopes, from the factory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Approximately 20,000 round-top 21/22s were made, same number as dovetail versions, a little over 40,000 total, from 1949-1955.

Wonder how many were imported into the US? Into Canada? Any info?
Regards, Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention his round top has another feature I have not seen on another 21. It has a small slide tab like a side safety which decocks the set trigger if a shot is not taken. I believe this was a late manufacture but can't recall specifically.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Joe, sorry, don't know the breakdown.

Stocker, that is interesting, haven't seen one like that, although I have seen some Mausers with a similar arrangement.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
One for Trax:

http://www.gunauction.com/sear...cfm?itemnum=10601836