Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted - Pistolsmith for Ruger Redhawk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted
Posted this over at the "Pistol Shooting" forum; thought this might be a better place for it.

Are there any good pistolsmiths out there? Need some work done to Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt.

Also, do I need to have an FFL guy send/receive the gun?

Thanks,
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I had Wilson Combat do a tune job on my Redhawk 44 maggie. Excellent. You can send your pistol directly to any smith without going through a FFL and the smith can return it directly to do also, unless there is a state law that would prohibit you from doing so. I have always shipped mine UPS, but now you have to send any handgun using overnight delivery.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Big Bore -

Do you have an address and/or phone number for them? Also, not that it's of major importance, since quality is worth waiting for, what kind of turn around time did you experience?

Thanx,

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
What type of work do you want done? I have a buddy who is a devoted handgun hunter, nearly 1/2 dozen safari's all with handgun. All he uses is 2 redhawk 44 mags 4" and 7 1/2" that he hunts with, as well as a contender. Both redhawks were worked over by magnaport, and while MNP is exspensive, the resulting SA and DA trigger pulls are perfect!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Paul H -
A general going over is what I'm after. The trigger pull, both DA and SA, are abysmal, so, they'll need some work.
R-WEST

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
try Jim Clark jnr at www.clarkcustomguns.com
toll free 888-458-4126.
He has done work for me in the past and I can reccomend him highly.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm leaning toward Clark's. I'll let you know how it turns out.

R-WEST

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. They did a complete work-over of the action and the DA and SA trigger pulls were reduced greatly. The lock-up became as tight as a bank vault and the whole revolver had a different, but much better feel to it. He did the work over 15 years ago so I don't know what he would charge now, but then it was about $125 or so. His internet address is: www.wilsoncombat.com

You should at least check them out before doing anything. I am sure you would be happy with either smith as they both do excellent work.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also check out Hamilton Bowen's shop. The work his shop puts out is first rate.

www.Bowenclassicarms.com

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to get more Redhawks, so I can try all these different guys.
Thanks for all the input.
R-WEST