New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Winchester 94 experts please read.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think you would need to put up a photo and re-verify that both SN's are correct. You can be sure if you have a letter from Waddy indicating that was the origional configuration for that rifle it is accurate. It is unlikely that a TD version would be converted to 1/2 mag. It is far more likely that your SN has been altered. It was not uncommon for a receiver to set around for a few years until a gun was made on it. The 32 WS was not introduced until 1902. This still qualifys as a FFL exempt antique under BATF rules. There should be a small lever that you flip up on the end of the magazine cap. You must open the lever, turn out the magazine and then twist the fore arm. The fore section will then remove from the receiver. What does the rear site look like ? Is it a carbine flip up site or is it marked "smokeless" ? Does the cody yellow sheet mention the 1/2 oct barrel ?

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad has a mod 94. The gun has a number of 15**** this gun has a half round, half Octagon barrel. The barrel is 26" long. It has a factory metal half moon but plate. The magazine is about half the length of the barrel. It is a 32 winchester special.
By my winchester book it gives a manufacture date of 1899. I contacted the records keepers in Cody Wy. They sent a letter saying it was recived in the warehouse in 1902.
It also says it is a takedown model. I am having a hard time believing it is a takedown. Can anyone help shed light on this rile? Thanks Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply!
I called and checked the numbers again. The number on the gun matches the letter from Cody. This gun does NOT have a lever on the magazine. It has a (for a lack of a better name)plug in the end of the magazine.
The letter from cody matches the gun but it says takedown from what dad said. The rear sight is a real tall buckhorn sight with yardage marked on the side.The rear sight does NOT flip. like I said it does have the ability to raise with elevation marks.
The letter from cody does say it was a Half Oct 26" long.
Thanks for the help. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where do you live in So. Idaho...If near Filer I will take a look at it and tell you what it is or take it to Jim Brockmon in Gooding...Any good smith or collector can tell you at a glance...If its a takedown then you can plainly see the seperation between the action and forend stock and barrel..

Posts: 41955 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can post a photo of the action we can tell you if its a take down. In the time frame you mention many SN's were altered or completely taken off and stamped WRACO. Much of this was done by sears and other discount department stores that bought from Winchester in quantity then sold at below factory MSRP. If Winchester was able to find the offenders by SN they would not sell them any more guns. The site you mention does not sound like the correct one for the gun. Special order sites MIGHT be listed on the cody yellow sheet. The one you mention sounds like a site for a 1886 but there are many sites the origional could have been replaced with. Again a photo would be the only way to help.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Got a picture? Easy to tell a takedown from the standard. Also, apparently some serial numbers might have been assigned to receivers in one year but the rifle not leave the factory for several years.

Try the folks at theLevergun.com Forums. Many very knowledgeable folks over there.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote