THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Converting a Remington 742 Woodmaster to pump action

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a Remington 742 Woodmaster to pump action
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I don't know the full details, the rifle is in India and owned by an acquaintance.

Basically, I don't know how old the gun is or what sort of shape it is in. Obviously, there are no local gunsmiths that are familiar with the workings. The only ammo they can get is also part of the problem, as it has reliability problems even in bolt guns apparently. Caliber is 30-06.

At any rate, Does anyone know about converting these, or can point me in a direction?

Thanks!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Well, I suppose you could plug the barrel and "pump" the bolt by hand. Big Grin

He would probably be better off finding someone with a pump and making a swap. If he want's something more user friendly and reliable, tell him to swap it for an AK.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The problem is this is in India, regs there are a ton different than here, with bureacracy to match!

It might take a couple years to get an exchange worked out, or longer, due to paperwork. And then there is the risk a new certificate for whatever other rifle may not be approved after this one has been sold.

Probably the biggest issue is the substandard ammo, but not much can be done about that so they are trying to make the best of the situation.

Sounds funny, but that is the way it is.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
What's the deal with the ammo? I gather the gun does not feed the stuff well. You said it has reliability problems even in bolt guns. What's that about? I guess hand loading is out of the question there. Can they get parts? As bureacratic as it seems to be, if it were possible could he legally obtain the necessary parts to make a conversion?

Don't know anything about India except their customer service folks are a little hard to understand regarding technical issues.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
mark, the semi and the pump have two entirly diffrent internal operating systems.
the pump has a rotory bolt where as the semi has a blow back gas operated block.
I think there are enough diffrences that it would not be fesiable.
Like was stated, it might be easier to trade for a pump.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
alhmans (sp) does it i believe.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
mark, the semi and the pump have two entirly diffrent internal operating systems.
the pump has a rotory bolt where as the semi has a blow back gas operated block.
I think there are enough diffrences that it would not be fesiable.
Like was stated, it might be easier to trade for a pump.
Dave

The bolt head rotates in both pump and semi.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
alhmans (sp) does it i believe.

Hey Max thanks!

They can do it for $229, they need the gun (so they'll have to see what the export for repair regs are) and it takes approx 3 weeks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an note on Indian ammo. during a short period as a member of the military a bit of co-op training time was spent there. The ammo as supplied (full metal jacket military stuff) left much to be desired. We experienced short rounds, hot rounds, really flattened primers, duds and extremely dirty powder. There was even a rifle that had to be TI'd as a projo stuck in the bbl. This was some years ago and it sounds like it has not improved much, BTW the calibres were 7.62x51, 30-06 and .223. So it is not suprising that a semi-auto civilian rifle would have functioning issues.

Posts: 148 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Actaully,this conversion used to be done quite often.The 742 family used to be very common around northern minnesota back in the late 70's.I have seen quite a few with cycling problems.The change to pump was done when the rifle would not cycle well enough to use for hunting.afterwards,it functions perfectly.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote