New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firing pin spring rubbing inside bolt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, I have a model 70 win that has been accurized and I have changed the firing pin spring inside the bolt to a heavier spring 28#, instead of the 24# it comes with originally. I have noticed that the spring seems to be rubbing inside the bolt as put the firing pin back inside the bolt.
My question is can this affect accuracy at all it seems I get fliers regularly?
My gun is win Mod70, featherweight stock Mcmillam, pillar posted and bedded, barrel is a fw Krieger, crown is 11degrees, with a muzzle brake. I shoot of rear bag and atlas bipod, I get 1moa at 200yards on most of my load development with 5 rounds, caliber is 280AI 9.5twist.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Elmer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that sometimes the end coils on the replacement springs are slightly larger in OD than the coil stack in the middle. Seems to be only the 2 or 3 coils on each end and the difference is only a few thou, but it COULD be the cause of some fliers. I simply grind the OD of the end coils to match the others, it seems to make no difference in the power but it eliminates the rubbing.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote