New
Find
Notify
Tools

7RM--->7Wby?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
can a 7mm Rem Mag be rechambered to a 7mm Wby Mag, without changing the barrel or doing any work on the action?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Check the dimensions on Steve's
http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Without drawing it up a quick look says the neck shoulder area will not clean up without set back. If the action is long enough no action work would need to be done.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will need setback. I have trimmed 7 Wby necks to the Same case leanth as the 7 Rem , loaded them and fireformed in a 7 Remn. chamber. They will chamber if the necks are shortened. I dont think it is worth the trouble. The 7 Rems that I have worked with had very short throat. I think if one deepened the throat, and gave it some freebore it could be loaded up to the Web velocity

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I did that conversion for my son and set the barrel back one turn (I think) and recahmbered. I don't like many of the Weatherby cartridges but, that one is OK. Is there a practical reason to do it? No! But, I do like the longer neck on the Weatherby. There is little to no ballistic advantage of one over the other.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had both. I have to ask why?

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:

+ 1.

I still have both and there is no appreciable difference if you are doing your own loading.

(My 7 m/m Wby (a Rem. 700) is very slightly more accurate than the best of my 3 different 7m/m Rem. Mags (a Rem 700, A Ruger No. 1, & a S&L 65-DL) but that's likely just plain how the cards happened to fall when that hand was dealt, nothing more.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
The main difference of the two are the longer free-bore on the Webby round.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:

+ 1.

I still have both and there is no appreciable difference if you are doing your own loading.

(My 7 m/m Wby (a Rem. 700) is very slightly more accurate than the best of my 3 different 7m/m Rem. Mags (a Rem 700, A Ruger No. 1, & a S&L 65-DL) but that's likely just plain how the cards happened to fall when that hand was dealt, nothing more.

*longer throat
*Weatherby freebore
*its prettier
*and last but not least, i just instinctivly like it.

but its probably not worth it...
that leaves the 7mmRM and the .30-06 as the candidates for the perfect cartridge.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote