Find
Notify
Tools

Durable handgun coatings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted
Gents, I'm getting ready to start some serious competitive shooting. I'm getting annoyed with the finish on my CZ 75 Tactical Sport. In your experience, what has been the best coating that you've used as far as durability goes? I've been considering the Armor Tuff finish from Wilson Combat, but my experience with this coating is rather limited. Any help would be appreciated gents, thanks!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diamond coat and Metaloy (www.originalmetaloy.com) are pretty tough. For parkerizing try Texas Armament Corporation (just be sure to keep the gun oiled) Most think that the paint finishes need to be applied to a parkerized gun and Wilson Combat is doing that to theirs.

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe some are using melonite.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
In terms of durability and corrosion resistance hardchrome is pretty tough to beat, but I have had great luck with Birdsong's Black T on several pistols and rifles. Just got a shotgun back from Vang Comp with Roguard/NP3 finish. Will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An oldie but a good one...

http://www.apwcogan.com/Greetings.htm

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know. . . . . . Armacoat. . . . .

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Metalsmith

I have done some research on this.
The company that has the best that I can find is IonBond in Greensboro NC.

It is a PVD coating with a Rockwell C rating of 70 to 80. It can be done in Gloss, Satin or Matt. All internal and external parts can be coated. It has a lifetime guarantee against wear, chipping or flaking.

Pm me your e-mail address and I can send you an info sheet.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote