New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Experts...Bedding Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I received my McMillan Varmint stock today, from the Internet specials. It is standard black for the A2 action. This will be for my 22-250.

I tried to fit the action as is - no go - the knox form on my barrel is a tad too wide. No problem, I hogged out the knox form. Then I discover the bottom of the recoil lug sits on the recoil lug recess, leaving the action flat behind the lug clear by about 0.5mm. The step between action flat and recoil lug on an A2 is 6mm. The corresponding step in the McMillan stock is 5.5mm.

What to do? Or is this intentional and I bed as is? I have stopped at this point cos' I don't want to foul it up!!!

Or do I hog out the recess to get the required clearance which I have been taught is about two or three thicknesses of electrical tape?

The stock is made of a whitish resin which is easily removed with a wood chisel, and I'll be using acraglas for the bedding.

Just a check - the bedding points as I have them are:

The knox form (a pad 25mm in front of the lug)

The lug and the action flat behind it (two layers of tape in front, to the side and on the bottom of the lug)

and the tang at the rear of the action.

Any other pointers?

Thanks

pete

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I will take out the .5 mm before I bed the rifle. The important places where a rifle must be bedded is the rear tang and around the recoil lug. I personaly do not bed past the action. From where the barrel screw into the action, I do not bed. I have removed the bedding around the knox form on all my rifles. I leave a gap equal to the thickness of a bussiness card between the barrel and the stock. It works for my rifles, but it does not mean it will work on your rifle.

Rifles are like woman, not two are the same.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote