THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Decent Price & Free Shipping for Nitre Blueing Salts

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent Price & Free Shipping for Nitre Blueing Salts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I did a search for the "Green Light Stump Remover" used to nitre blue some parts on an old Marlin rifle.

I found the manufacturer's site & found that a national hardware chain carries that particular brand of stump remover.

If you have one of these stores locally, you can do a "site to store" purchase & get free shipping to the store.

I found conflicting info on whether this is true potasium nitrate or sodium nitrate, but the fact that the user on the Beartooth Bullets site had good results gave me the confidence to spend $30 for 5# of it.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it works out. The correct bluing temp is just about 285 F

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Not with Niter bluing salts. proper temp is around 650F

Hot salts as in sodium hydroxide with a touch of ammonium nitrate runs at 285 F or so

Found old reference to MSDS sheet and it said 100% potassium nitrate

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Not with Niter bluing salts. proper temp is around 650F

That's what I thought.

quote:
Found old reference to MSDS sheet and it said 100% potassium nitrate

Are you refering to the Green Light Stump remover?

If so, that's great!

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yes sir

Just be very careful. You are already heading in the right direction with the lee pot. Just think "what would happen if this stuff spilled" keep that in mind and you should have no problems. 650 degrees is nothing to tinker with.
You know it but i have to say just to make myself feel better. Be careful, The results are beautiful

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Just be very careful. You are already heading in the right direction with the lee pot.
Just think "what would happen if this stuff spilled" keep that in mind and you should have no problems. 650 degrees is nothing to tinker with.

I've been thinking about a way to prevent the stopper rod from being raised inadvertantly. Eeker

I haven't had any light bulbs flash above my head on that issue as of yet.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Safety wire it down Easy cheep and takes no time to return to original shape

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I read wrong. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote