THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I rebarrel a .243Win. to .257Roberts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Savage 110 in .243Win. The barrel has pretty well had it. I'm wondering if it's posible
to have it rebarreled to a .257Roberts? I guess my main concern is if the .257 rounds will fit the
internal box magazine of the Savage. Can anyone out there advise me on this? Thanks.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
I'm surprised no one has answered your post. Never having owned a Savage I can only guess. The Roberts case is only .188" longer than the .243 case,I would think it would work.
Hopefully some Savage owners will add to the discusion.Or better yet, some of the gunsmiths out there.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a single shot, yes. As a repeater, check the OAL for your magazine then that of the longest Bob round you intend to use. Then make sure the action can eject a loaded round(Receiver port oal). Luck

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
all savage 110s and the 11x series are the same length. you can easily do this, with a barrel from midway, even.

it's probably the best thing to do to a 6mm/243!!!

best of luck
jheffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Cal, just swap the barrel. Get a magazine box for a 6mm if you want it to feed without much work, or if you want to wring the most from your Roberts, use an -06 sized box (allows longer COL). This is a great combo. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may sound pretty dumb coming from someone who has been rebarreling as long as I have, but by only doing a few Savages over the years, I have wondered how in the hell do you get the magazine box away from the action without destroying it. Please, some simpleton enlighten me!

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I understand your question Jim. Do you mean removing the magazine (metal) box off the action? Or are you talking about the ones where the box is detachable and you have to remove the locking mechanism? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote