Find
Notify
Tools

Sling Swivel Stud Backing Out
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
I have a rifle in which the studs for the sling swivels are a little loose (wooden stock) and tend to turn a little when the sling is used. I think it would be better if they stayed put; any suggestions on securing them would be appreciated.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would remove the stud place a touch of epoxy in the hole and re-install. A little will go a long way. Clean up in over run quickly.

If you ever need to remove the stud at a later date then take your soldering iron and heat the stud. The Epoxy will release.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very simple fix is to remove the stud, place a toothpick in the hole, break it off even with the top of the hole, put a bit of white glue in the hole, reinstall the stud. I know, it sounds cheesy. But it works for any loose wood screw. You could make a sliver of walnut to do the same thing if it makes you feel better about it but it won't work any better. Actually, I think the pine tooth pick (I generally use the wood stick from a cotton swab) works best because the pine tends to mash into place.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I went with epoxy. It's good to know that heat will release it if the need arises.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use Mark's toothpick on furniture all the time. Works great. I had used it once on a stock. I just found that the way the rifle hangs puts an "unscrewing motion" on the post and in my case the toothpick didn't stop the turning. Epoxy is a quick fix and yep a little heat and out she will come.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote