Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

99 Savage in 300Savage caliber
 Login/Join

posted
I just purchased a 99M Savage and have begun reloading for it.I'm using Rem. brass,Wlr primers,150 gr. Sierra and Hornady bullets,and imr 4064 & 4895 powders. My problem is that I'm getting some primer flattening at modest load levels(39 gr. with each powder) producing low velocities (2400 fps). This is out of a 24 barrel.Is this a headspace problem? Thanks in advance.

<Guest>
posted
the only true way to know if you have a headspace problem is to use headspace guages. You should not guess at such a thing.

Usually, flattened primers indicate a pressure problem rather than a headspace problem.

posted Hide Post
Good point.Do you have an idea as to why mild loads producing low velocities would have pressure problems?

<Guest>
posted
Although I have reloaded a lot of ammo, I am no expert, but there are experts here (Saeed for sure) who probably might know if they looked at what you have. It could be a myriad of things, like the cases being improperly trimmed, or the cases not being resized correctly, or the chamber being either too small or two large, or the bullets being a bit to big (don't laugh, it happens), or that you have an odd lot of powder, or too hot a primer, or a host of other things. Probably the best thing to do would be to find a local smith who has some guages and a bore scope, and start there. take out your Micrometer and measure to see if you have any case expansion and significant case lengthening after firing a round. measure your bullets. make sure the powder you are using is the powder you think you are using. recheck your primers. recheck your measureing scale or powder measure. In short, meticulously go through every procedure and every component to make sure they are correct, and if they are, the problem, if it is a problem, is in the gun someplace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded the 300 going on 35 years now. Take a look at the case cap. Do you really think that you well get the vel that were adverised. I normaly get 200 fps slower then the book. I am shooting a 165 gr rem corelokt at 2335 with a max load of bal c 2. I have no trouble killing deer with that load out past 200 yards. The 99 is a fine old rifle no use pushing it. It is not a 06 nor even a 308 take it for what it is and enjoy it. I find that the 99 is one of the best point and swinging rifles for running shots ever made.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't really answer as I've no idea what you mean by "some primer flattening." But I easily get 2550 fps with 165-gr. bullets, using a maximum load of RL-15. So if your gun's in good condition, you should be able to do run 150s at least that fast.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My feeling it probably is head space problem. Have you tried backing off your sizing die a bit and loading the same recipe then shooting? The reason you have primer flattening on normal loads (we are talking about really pancaking the primer in the case), is as the round is fired, the firing pin drives the case in against the shoulder, pressure in case then pushes the primer out against the bolt face, then as the pressure peaks, it forces the case head back, flatttening the primer like a rivet. Primers may stick out of the fired case with real mild loads, without flattening.

Posts: 53 | Location: Meadow Lake, Sask., Canada | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Its pretty hard to troubleshoot over the net, but it seems to me that a lot of these old 99's are just not going to give what they once were up to. I would think that 4895 and 150 grainers would be a good mix for the 300 and it should certianly give better than 2400 fs with pressure signs. Mine makes 2600 fs with 165 grainers behing Rlr 15 with cci primers and no pressure signs. That is the best load Ive found yet but I would like to give Varget a try sometime.

I would suggest trying some other components and by all means, if you think there may be a headspace issue then get it checked, the peace of mind alone is worth it.

I highly reccomend trying some resized 308 millsurp brass as well. It withstands the incipient case head problem inherent in these rifles much better than factory 300 brass.

Good luck!

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote