New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock refinishing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone recommend a chemical remover that will help take the finish off a ADL gloss stock?
Man, is that stuff hard to get off!!

Thanks
Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a heat gun!

It will soften the finish and make it easy to scrape off.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover (Found this after a search on this site).

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a propane torch. It'll destroy the plastic finish and it can be easily scraped off. Takes about 10-15 minutes..

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have used both a heat gun and a propane torch to do this job.

I would never go back to the propane torch after trying the heat gun. Faster, easier to control and the hot air guns are quite cheap.

The Remington finishes are more easily stripped with heat than with chemicals -- at least all the 4 or so chemical strippers I tried. I have heard that ZIP Strip will work on Remingtons, but I couldn't get any to try.

Best of luck,
jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Following a tip from another board I used a new product called "CitriStrip" on a Rem stock last month and was very pleased with it. It's a citrus foam spray. Compared to any other chemical stripping agent I've tried it works faster, is easier to use and doesn't smell bad (no methyl chloride). I'm a convert to the stuff. Found CitriStrip at WallyWorld.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
does this trick work in the checkering?

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where can you buy a heat gun? What is a good one?

Dave

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave_T:
Where can you buy a heat gun? What is a good one?

Dave

Any reasonable hardware store or even a K-Mart should have them. Mine has a high and low temperature setting, as well as a high and low fan setting.

These hot air guns are great for mending plastic, thawing frozen pipes or locks, and stripping finishes (paint or varnish). You can also supposedly solder pipes with them although I have not done this personally.

Since they are only a heating element and fan, I suspect that even the cheapest one would take a long while to wear out with normal use.

Be careful at first -- you can scorch wood with it. I forget how hot they can get, but it seems pretty close to a propane torch.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Follow the manufacturer's instructions. The commercial heat guns I have used have separate controls for the heat element and the fan. They recommend you shut off the heating element but leave the fan running for a while when shutting down. It makes the heating element last longer. We used them for bending PVC electrical conduit and applying heat-shrink sleeves to cables.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote