Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Ackley improved 40 degree
 Login/Join

<bendtsen>
posted
Hi Forum

Got my reamer for the 30-06 Ackley imp 40 dgr, today. Wondering if it would be possible to grind some of the throat and neck off, and then ream the chamber another 0.15" deeper thereby moving the shoulder forward, still keeping case length to 2.5" ??
Same could be done to the dies i Guess!!
Would the parallel section at the beginning of the chamber be a problem?

Any comments would be appreciated

Bendtsen

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you look at a 30 Gibbs reamer rather than grinding on that one. Die and such are readily available.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There really is not parallel section the case has a taper the full length. If you were to do what you are talking about you would have a very large chamber in the web area. I agree, if you are wanting a case with larger capacity based on the 06 case. Look to the 30 Gibbs, 300 Howell or the Hawk. All will give you more capacity over the Ackley.

[This message has been edited by ramrod340 (edited 02-19-2002).]

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
The reason the shoulder on "Ackley Improved" chamberings is located where it is, is so that standard cartridges can be used in an "improved" chamber. The standard shoulder is a "crush fit" so to speak. It also makes fireforming simpler by forcing the case against the bolt face. This helps to eliminate case stretching.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<bendtsen>
posted
Tx guys

Where would I find more info on the 30 Gibbs,
it`s not in "cartriges of the world"!

Regards
Bendtsen

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gibbs series of wildcats were very popular before chronographs became generally available...if you "estimate" velocity you can claim anything you want. the only way to even approach the velocity claimed is to go beyond what is even close to being reasonable in pressure plus use barrels in excess of 26". What's wrong with the .300 WinMag?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Bendtsen,
What would you like to know about it? What weight bullet are you interested in. I have to agree that Rocky Gibbs did stretch his data. Per records he would take his loads to Speer to measure pressure and use their Cronograph. He loaded to 53,000psi. He would also take the maximum velocity of a 10 round test not the average. Last but not least he measure his barrel from the front of the bullet. Figuring that was the length that affected velocity. So if you see his data stating a 26" barrel it was closer to 28.5 based on how we measure it today. As to the design picture and 06 case with a .25" neck and a 35 deg shoulder with a shoulder dia of .455. It gives another 5%+ case capacity over the Ackely. But, you can't fire factory in a pinch like with the Ackely. If pure speed is what you are after I agree it can't beat the magnum cases handloads. If you want a wildcat and a conversation piece it is great.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gibbs line of cartridges are what you would think of as Supper-Improved cases. Not only is the case blown out to minimum taper but the shoulder is changed to 35 degrees and moved as far forward as possible and still retain enough to grab a bullet. Just barely. The Ackley books have some information on the Gibbs line. There was a book published by Wolfe Publishing called "Gibbs a Man and His Cartridges" that had alot of info. You might be able to locate one of those.

But like RamRod said if its velocity your after you'll be hard to catch up with any of the belted mags handloaded. But if its a conversation piece your after the Gibbs will hold a campfire conversation for a quite a spell.

There are a few guys around these foums that have some Gibbs rifles. I have a 240 Gibbs and for a 6mm it'll get across a field mighty fast

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 Ackley improved is IMHO a great cartridge and should not be fooled with. It has many advantages including the ability to use factory ammo in a pinch or on demand. I have gotten 2900fps out of it with <1 inch groups as the norm. In 2000 I took it to Africa and out to 400 yrds did extremely well with it.No flies on this cartridge despite the acclaims of the gun writers.
I've played with the .30 Gibbs and frankly didn't see the improvement I'd been led to believe was possible. The accuracy was also not as good as the 30-06 Imp. A no neck cartridge doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Fireforming the Gibbs is also not much fun given the split neck to success ratio I've experienced.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<bendtsen>
posted
Tx Guys!

From what I have read in Your answers, I will stick to the 30-06 imp, at least for now! Then maybe later I can enlarge the chamber and play with it some more!!
Any load suggestions for the 30-06 imp would be appreciated, specially in the 165-200 range.

Best Regards
Bendtsen

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendtsen:
Tx Guys!

From what I have read in Your answers, I will stick to the 30-06 imp, at least for now! Then maybe later I can enlarge the chamber and play with it some more!!
Any load suggestions for the 30-06 imp would be appreciated, specially in the 165-200 range.

Best Regards
Bendtsen

Nosler's #4 Manual has a complete load table for all of their bullets in 30-06 Ackley Improved.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-21-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first read the loads shown for the .30/06 Imp in Nosler #4 I was amazed as they seemed to show much higher velocities than I have ever seen listed for the '06Imp.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote