THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who would you have matte blue your rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Glenrock Blue has done fine jobs on a number of Sauer barrels and duplicated the finish on a pre-64 Winchester 70 receiver perfectly. Good turn around times and reasonable pricing to boot.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...more bad news from the trenches....the people employed in any establishment are EXACTLY how that establishment and business are percieved/judged. Another reason for the out-of sight prices in many of the gunshops across the country. An employee that is not a "moron" will cost an employer a lot of money and time, in order to keep both the employee and the government happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who would you use for a good quality matte blue for a complete barreled action and scope mounts?

Thanks in advance!

HUNTR338

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not personally had something done by them, but have seen their work and it looks real nice...try GLENROCK BLUING
www.gunbluing.com. They are in Glenrock Wyoming. They seem fairly reasonable in both pricing and turn around time.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've used these guy's twice now Hot Flash The work is excellent, the price is very reasonable (return shipping is included in the price) and they have a one week turn around.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
HUNTR338

Give David Christman a try. Ask about turnaround time if it is a big issue though. I don�t think he will be as fast as some of the places that only blue guns but his work would be worth the wate. I think he gets about $140 for a matte blue. He will also do a rust blue for about $75 more than that. It is the cats meow.

David Christman
216 Rundell Loop rd.
Delhi LA.
(318) 878-1395

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bluetick,
Dave's work is excellent and rust bluing at that price is a real bargain.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
(sigh)
I have no response to this.
I have a guy in who works in my store who is in a nutshell a moron.
It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't know what blueing even is.
A Factory Finish job is buffing on a wheel and a dip in the tanks. Nothing fancy and usually is done on Mausers and the like that have some pitting etc.
Don't judge my store based on my employees.
I would recommend calling back and asking for Cliff.

God am I embarrassed.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Baiar. Period!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the other recommendation, but Chic knows his stuff, so would be safe. I know that Jim Baiar is the one that D'Arcy Echols said after his extensive testing did one of the best hot blues, and I can say that after I had my 375 worked on he did a hell of a job matching the barrel band to the Winchester finish, you can't tell it isn't the factory work.

In fact, I think I'll take it hunting tomorrow just so I can check it in the sunlight. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red,
The only thing that I do is a slow rust blue. A matte finish caustic is usualy what someone is looking for when they refer to a matte blue and I don't do them and to be honest, I don't think they wear well.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Can you get a Ferrari in four wheel drive and 3/4 ton?

My guess is that yes you could, my question would be how much more would the 4X4 option set me back on a Ferrari?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I guess I do not charge enough money to do gunsmithing work.
Personally, I charge $89.50 for a bead-blasted finish and $99.50 if it has heavy pitting.
I cannot leave guns overnight anymore in my shop, so I guess as an 'inconvenience' all work is done same day.

Listen, $150 for a job that takes 1-2 weeks, you are getting ripped.

-Spencer

Hmmm,

I called today and was told $99.50 for the "Factory" finish, and it went steadily up to not much much less than Dave's prices. I asked about matte finsihes and the guy on the phone didn't know what the heck I was talking about.

I think I'd pick Dave since he at least knows what the hell Matte is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I remember talking to a young smith at the ACGG show,....... what he said was that new guys getting into it charge less than they should, and not only hurt themselves by not working for enough to cover all those things like you mentioned, but they hurt the trade as a whole. By working for less clients out there get the idea that the gunsmiths that do it for a living and charge enough to do more than break even are charging too much.

Red

HHMMMMMM. That speach sounds familar. Have we met? Michael