New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmiths, will anybody take this on?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up a rifle from the shop, the 1917 458 I had mentioned. This shop didn't do any of the gunsmithing on it, I bought the barreled action already setup, has an apex barrel. Looks like first rate metal action.

Anyways, the work. The shop did not smooth up the bolt for me as asked. When opening it raises fine, but in pulling it back it binds in a couple of places. I am not personally ready to try polishing it or lapping it or anything and would like to have it done by somebody that knows what they are doing.

Would any of the fantastic gunsmiths here be willing to tackle this and what would it cost me ballpark?

Thanks guys.

(didn't want to bug any of you by asking direct.)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
Apex barrel huh? i wonder if it is one of the gain twists.

Celt

[ 06-20-2003, 09:54: Message edited by: Celt ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just walked in to where I have it taken apart and took a look with my bore light. I can't see a difference, but then again have never looked into a variable twist barrel so who knows? How would I tell?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Dago,

Get some Clover 4F lapping compound or make some from 600 grit silicon carbide lapidary grinding powder. I see you live in Kalifornikistan, lapidary shops should be easy to find.

This all depends on just how tight it is. jewelers rouge may be what you want.

I just did an m98 using NAPA lapping compound (very coarse) and 600 grit.

Either way mix the powder with thread cutting oil until you have a paste.

Strip the receiver and glob up the bolt. Shove back and forth until it gets a little easier. Clean everything up nice, oil and see how it works. If still tight re-do. Keep going until it is as smooth as you want.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use hones and hone the action, both outside and inside once it has been surface ground and all is square to the world...

I'd do it for you except I'm going to be gone from mid August through Oct. 1, but I bet Jack Belk 208-543-5946 or Jim Brockman 208-934-5050 or Dennis Olson at 406-826-3790 would do that for you...but surely you have a local gunsmith that can handle such a simple job...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oops, also John Ricks who posts here on this forum could easily handle that job.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago,

I'd just try lapping. Valve griding compound would be easy to find at any auto parts store, and should be of the non-embedding variety. Slop it on, and run the bolt in and out. Don't put it into battery, as that may alter headspace. Remove the extractor, but not the extractor collar. Be sure to clean well after.

Enfield bolts, in my limited experience (2) with them, often bind where the bolt body passes through the rear receiver ring -- they made this tight in lieu of a bolt guide rib.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote