New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington scope base Questions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if there is a remington rear scope base with a .500 rear screw hole spaceing?

From what I have read the 600,660,721,722,700 have the same front ring and rear bridge contours and heights.

Do any have the .500 rear screw spacing though???

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you purchase two piece mounts for a Remington the short action mounts are the same as the long action mounts....thus the hole spacing would be the same.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know off the top of my head, but the new Model 7's have a small hole spacing like you describe.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup the model 7 has the close holes - the new XR-100 takes the model 7 bases too.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700’s built after 1974 have a different front to rear height than those built before 1974 due to a design change in the receivers to accomodate the anti-bind feature on the bolt and receiver rails.

I do not believe the newer 700’s (after 1974) will have the same front to rear heights as the other models you mentioned.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. I called luepold as a reference and the tech guy said , (after checking what ever he checks), no .5" rear spaceing . For what ever thats worth. Ill have to go to the store and measure the model 7 base.

Rick0311 I got your pre74 measurement before. Seems like the luepold data would show different part #s for that,but they dont. ???

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That info came from Lacy’s book on the Remington 700 rifles.

He cautions about mismatching bases designed for pre 1974 receivers with post 1974 receivers...and vis-a-versa.

According to him a mismatched one piece base stresses the action when installed...and a mismatched two piece base set stress both the action and the scope due to the differing heights invloved.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, the vertical height dimensions of different brands of scope bases are seldom the same. You’re only talking about thousandths of an inch difference...but that can be allot when you consider the forces involved during firing, and the tiny amount of vertical adjustment needed to move the cross hairs in a scope.

What you should try for on Model 700’s is a base height differential of .100†(plus or minus .012â€) for post 1974 actions...and .117†(plus or minus .012â€) on pre 1974 actions.

Some brands of bases fall into this bracket...and some don’t and need to be shimmed.

This sometimes explains the questions on here when guys run out of adjustments when trying to zero a new scope that is installed with old bases and rings that worked just fine with another brand of scope. It ain’t the scope...its the relationship between the scope and the bases that is causing the problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The newer model 7s definitely have the close holes for the back base, the early ones (I had one) had only one hole in back necessitating a one piece base (or some epoxie along the edges). The XPR takes the standard base, however, two piece or one short one.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth. I have a late M7 with a "S" serial no. in for rebarreling and I just measured that. The front is .860" and the rear is .280 as close as I can get the calipers with my bifocals.
Regards

Jerry

G. D. Stockinger
N.R.A. Life Member

www.cliogunshop.com

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote