Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Stock Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted
Can someone tell me the difference between a McMillan drop in stock and a stock blank? Does the stock blank give a more custom fit? Thanks.

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a drop-in stock from McMillan and it fits my barreled action like a glove. A stock blank can be just a piece of rectangle wood but can also be one of those semi-inletted stocks that requires a lot of hand work to finish it up to match your rifle perfectly. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
8point,

A drop in stock is designed for a specific action like a Remington 700, Ruger 77 etc., and even though it is a drop in, the forend can be opened a bit to accomodate a larger diameter barrel if needed. It is assumed that the actions will be bedded anyway so you won't get any better fit choosing one over the other that is, unless you are talking wood.

A Stock blank is just that, it's a blank. The barrel channel is uncut and the inletting for the action is undersize and incomplete. Stock blanks require a lot more work to complete and for a composite type stock, you would be time and money ahead getting the drop in type.

Malm

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mingo and Malm.

Malm, my drop-in stock should be here in a couple of days. As soon as it does I will attach it to my action and it will be on its way to you! Thaks for the info.

8point

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Malmborg:
Stock blanks require a lot more work to complete and for a composite type stock, you would be time and money ahead getting the drop in type.

Wise words right there...