THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding iron sites to a barrel... Easily done?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I have a Blaser R93 and one of the barrels I have is .375 H&H. It does not have any iron sites. I'm thinking about reconfiguring the gun with quick release rings so that I can use it in close encounters with dangerous game. What's involved to add iron sites to a barrel like this? One other thing that may come into play is that the barrel has the BP-Tech muzzle rise and recoil system on it. Would that impact the guns ability to have accurate iron sites installed?

Here's a pic from BP-Tech that shows how my barrel looks:

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive never tried it, but Ive read that it can be done with a caliper, hacksaw blade, dovetail file and a little know how.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I called Sigarms to see if they could add sites to Blaser barrels and was pleasantly surprised to hear that they easily can. Cost just over $200 for them to do it. The issue with the BP-tech deal is the only thing that I'm not yet sure about. Since it does have a larger diameter than the barrel itself, I'm not sure whether or not the normal bead on the end of the barrel would still work.
I was looking to make this change to make the gun better for close encounters when hunting dangerous game in Africa. I may get a double rifle soon which could meet that need, but compared to that there's no doubt I'd save a pile of money if I only bought a new Blaser barrel that had factory installed sites!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote