Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Stokeld/Acraglas follow up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Marc,

Follow-up on my Turkish walnut gun stock that I'm using your technique to seal/fill/finish w/ Acraglas.

I installed pillars, two crossbolts, devcon bedding w/ a marine-tex skim. This turned out perfect.

I now have it sealed w/ the Acraglas and will let it sit a week or so then sand it back down to the surface to see how much more I need to fill the pores. Your technique worked well and I was amazed at how well the wood absorbed the Acraglas.

One thing I experimented w/ that seems to work well in giving a good even coat that dries matte vs. gloss. This is using T.M. Blackman's technique of wiping the excess off w/ a damp clean cloth. He used toluene but I used Acraglas thinner. On the final finish coat, I may use this technique to give me a matte finish instead of oil sanding it back to dull the gloss.

At this point, I'm a believer and will use the Acraglas on all my working wood stocks. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that it is working for you! For me, it makes a world of difference in how durable the wood stock is. I think you will like it

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've brought this post back to the top. I've an additional follow up I'd like to share:

For me it all started w/ this post:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=684106232#684106232

To say I've been very pleased is an understatement. I cannot think of a better finish to use on a working wood stock.

On the particular stock reference the previous posts, I am reworking the rifle and decided to add an ebony schnabel tip, have a go at recheckering and stain/highlight the wood with Herter's French Red. I removed the surface coat of Acraglas and took it down to the wood. Even down to the wood, the Acraglas that soaked into the stock on the initial seal coats appears to solidly protect the wood surface. To test it out, I decided to submerge the stock for a couple of days to see if it would absorb any water. I weighed the stock on a digital scale then stuck it in the tub. After two days, I pulled her out and dried it w/ a hand towel.

The results, the stock absorbed not one drop of water and the barreled action fit perfectly as before showing no signs of any warping. Now this is after much hard abuse on the original applied Acraglas finish followed by striping this finish down to the wood. I think that speaks for itself.

Thanks Again Mark,
GVA