Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel nut won't budge!!Help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I'm trying to remove the barrel off a 110 Savage .270Win but the barrel nut refuses to budge. Any hints? I'm not a fan of the .270 but if possible I'd like to save the barrel for possible future use. Yes I do have the proper wrench, and yes I do have a barrel vice (clamped extremely tight), I just prefer to work smarter not harder to prevent any metal damage.

Please help
NB

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Apply a little heat to one side of the nut. Propane torch heat is sufficient.

I only remove savage barrels if I am going to replace them with something else, and then I do so the conventional way, without the barrel nut. Savage barrel nuts make deep water trolling great. A couple of them attached to your line and you are down where the big ones lurk. And hey, if you snag a couple and lose them, big deal, there are plenty more where those come from.

Malm

[Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that you had some Lock-Tite run down into the threads from the scope base that was on it.

I agree, a little heat should do the trick. Maybe you need a cheater bar on your action wrench to get a little more leverage?

I have watched Savage install those barrels, and the old man that puts them on has a 3 ft wrench, but did not appear to pull them down really tight.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, had it off in a couple minutes. Good bye .270, hello big bore.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote