New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering tools
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have feedback on the current crop of checkering tools available from Brownells?

I purchased a set years ago, Gunline I believe, which I didn't like much because the pins didn't hold the cutters well and the wobbling made it almost impossible to cut nice lines. I sold them on eBay.

Then, a friend gave me a set which appear to be Dembart, with a few Gunline pieces, that work much better. I am thinking of buying a set in 20 lpi for my first serious checkering job. This is a hobby for me, which means I won't be in the market for electric carbide checkering cutters.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding what is currently available. Also, since I want to pick up everything I need to do straightforward point pattern checkering at one time, maybe a list of suggested pieces to buy?

Thanks,
TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Let's see, I'd suggest the following, not in any order:

W.E. Brownell's full-view checkering handles (2 each)

Dembart cutters for single line, right spacing, left spacing and maybe border, but I prefer and now almost exclusively use carbide cutters

Scribe

Flexible staight edge, a piece of a steel measuring tape works well

Dymo tape, used for layout

Opti-visor

Some sort of flexible lamp with GE Reveal buld

Cradle

Fingermail brush

You mght consider one of the instructional videos. Brownells has one by Joe Balickie that is pretty good.

If I think of anything else I'll add to the list.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a checkerer. But I do own the DVD done by Joe Balickie that Toomany Tools mentioned, and I can highly recommend it as a video that is, at least to me, enjoyable to watch, and provides a considerable amount of knowledge about hand checkering, including which tools to use. I would suggest that you order the DVD and watch it before you purchase any tools. Balickie recommends staying with the Brownell cutters and he explains why. (edited July 10, 2008)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do checker, but do not proclaim a profession of it! Brownells tools and te Balickie DVD are musts! Also, buy a jointer because you will have a line or two go astray. Practice and have fun!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
add a veiner to the list Smiler

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And a lot of patience. And also, don't let anyone talk you into recutting an old checkering pattern. Worst job in the world. I just got done doing a re-finish/re-checker on a superposed. The guy that did the original had a real knack for covering up a spacing mistake.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend Soverns is indeed the one who gave me the tools I have now. Good to run into you again here.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will keep them at hand for when I order. I have decided to try my first real checkering job on my CZ 550 because it is not a fancy or high dollar stock, and if I botch it I won't be terribly upset. Still, I'd rather have it look presentable. I have picked up a couple of new guns recently with factory handcut checkering which is far from perfect but still decent looking, so that will be my inspiration.

Best,
TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Jim, I agree with your statement on re-cutting, but I get asked to do it a lot. Not until you re-cut old checkerng do you see the mistakes that are there. I just finished a 1950's vinatage A-5 that was just full of screw ups; what a pain ITA.

John Farner

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You experts at this checkering business would be much appreciated if you'd explain to the rest of us how you tell soft wood from hard wood.

I've got a nice .22 rifle I started on and it's too soft to do anything with. Need to sand it flush and refinish it now. I do ok on hard wood and recutting too. but, this bit my butt.

Thanks much,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TMG, talk our friend Bill out of some of his grip paper. It will help a great deal in layout. I would add one tool to the mix, a Jointerm, basically it is a long file and helps to fix up mistakes and take wobbles out of your line as you layout the initial cuts. I also use some fixed carbide cutters that are short for getting into the tight spots and in the corners. I do my layout with an electric tool and go to hand tools near the end. You do not want to layout the funds for this piece of equipment but the hand tools will do just as good a job, they just take more time.

I am curious how someone who professes to not be a checkerer can make a statement that a DVD will tell you everything you need to know about checkering. Roll Eyes Like the old thermos bottle joke. How does it know?

Good luck on your checkering and check back if you need advice.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
george, the trick is knowing how to make soft wood hard. The past few years pharmaceutical companies have figured it out. Big Grin

Seriously, I've learned to use sealers and cyanoacrylate(Super glue)to stiffen up soft wood when I encounter it. If you do a search in these forums some of the best checkers in the business, two of whom have already piped in on this thread, have previously provided some techniques that work very well.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:

I am curious how someone who professes to not be a checkerer can make a statement that a DVD will tell you everything you need to know about checkering.

Fair enough. I have corrected my post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care what you all say, it is Voodoo and only those with a 'magic' touch and special blessings can do it well...and I am NOT one of them...Congratulations to all who keep at it long enough to make the little diamonds sparkle! Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote