New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I save it? 1950 m70 .270
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been offered a 1950 Winchester M70 in .270 for $750. Pitting on the bottom metal, but the bore is pretty good and most of the metal is okay.

I would clean up the metal, and find a new stock for it more than likely.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Save it from what? You should just shoot it; these are not rare and the condition sounds like a hunter and shooter; not a top collector piece. What stock doe it have now?

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neglect I guess. It has the original stock but it is beat up. I thought it would be a good canidate for a partial restoration. Must've find a slim wood stock for it? To be honest it was the first pre64 I've ever held.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Why not...If thats what you want to do then go for it. I hear ya on the old 70s stocks, piece of crap as far as I'm concerned. Put something a little more trim and detailed...but be careful before you know it you'll have 3 grand in it. Wink

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Even beat up stocks can be restored; post a picture of it. Is it a FW or a Standard rifle?

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Why not...If thats what you want to do then go for it. I hear ya on the old 70s stocks, piece of crap as far as I'm concerned. Put something a little more trim and detailed...but be careful before you know it you'll have 3 grand in it. Wink

You will have every ounce of $3000 in it. No joke on that one.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
if you turn it down, I'd be interested for my collection....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a standard .270. Unfortunately I only got to handle it for like 5 seconds before my friend left to go home.
If I did decide to seriously go through it what should I be on the lookout for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fire a magazine full and make sure it will feed and eject properly. Then pull the barrel and stock and send it to somebody like Jim Kobe here to have a nice custom rifle built on it.

What's your favorite caliber? It could be that, and something to enjoy hunting with for the rest of your life, then pass on to a family member.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
No, leave it be. Go buy a new Tikka or Ruger Amarican and never look back.

BTW, can you email me the guys email address?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The price is pretty good, but I would just wipe it down and shoot or hunt with it..cost of restoration is a bad deal unless you do all the work yourself..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in an expensive part of the country and I still find good, problem free, pre 64s for around &1K. Not pristine examples, but good functional ones that require no work. I'm talking 270 and 30-06, other cals usually go for more. They are still common and if you have cash on hand you can usually get a deal.

So I would take a look around, it might be worth it to spend a few bucks more for one that doesn't come with headaches.