New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single shot action sources
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the options these days? I want to make a 45 ACP rifle with as long a barrel as I can. Probably some other stuff too, another 45-70, maybe a 357. I just like to keep a project on the bench. It appears all the surplus stuff is dried up. Ruger seems to have stopped selling. I see CPA has one at $1100. I'd to a kit but, don't see much. Maybe a scratch build? I have skills, a lathe, and a mill.

I have a #5 Rolling block that needs all the parts associated the the trigger guard/ bottom half. When I look into it, the price for the parts exceed the value of a whole action. Make the parts from scratch? Any other suggetions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&R handy rifle?

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naah, something nice.

To give a refrence point, my last project was an Armstong Long rifle. Over 100 hours was taken to complete. I also have done a lot of classic bolt actions that resemble Kimber and Dakota. I am at the point now where if I do a project it is to produce a top quality product.

Anyone complete a Farquarson casting set?

posted Hide Post
You could use a Contender of an Encore. C. Sharps sells a High Wall action but they are pricey. The TC Barrels are easy to do with our barrel stubs. You can search the net for more info.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There was a guy in Oklahoma making sets of castings. Don't know if he still does or not. Forgot his name but he used to advertise in Single Shot mag.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cimarron-firearms.c...l-parts-uberti.html#

Looks like you could buy the action parts from Cimarron and build from there.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Problem is that they don't sell receivers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go the American Single Shot Rifle Association Forum [which you probably already know about]ask if any have one to sell, possibly get a Falling Block Works action Model j for the 45/70 and Model K for the 357

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPs! I missed that. Well, he could pick up a used one in .45-70 and have the barrel set back. Might be better if he shot .45 LC rather than .45 ACP.
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Problem is that they don't sell receivers.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
http://kwk.us/FA/

Rodney Story Castings

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to rollingblockparts.com and you can get parts for your rolling block there. Kenn also has rolling block actions for sale also, sometimes. He is the go-to guy for parts for rolling blocks.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the Rodney Story casting have not been available for some time from any source.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might try a large martini, otherwise i more or less gave up on finding actions and just went out and bought a used #1 or browning high wall and went from there. usually ended up cheaper than just the action

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go to rollingblockparts.com ... Kenn also has rolling block actions for sale also, sometimes.
dave

Thanks Dave,

I have some business to do with him. I have most of a 1910 Mexican 7mm carbine. I need the parts associated with the trigger guard. It was somebody's botched project that got disassembled then separated from the parts. . After that I am about out of actions. I may scratch build something.

I was thinking that the 1910 Rolling block may work OK with 45ACP. I was born a 7mm mauser. Same head size and extractor configuration for both cartridges. It is much stronger than needed of course.

Rather than getting into new cartridges I am trying to consolidate into common cartridges that I already have. I want to be able to use commonly available ammo. I am over the weird and wild and wildcats.

45LC is not uncommon, I just have several 45 Autos already. I might build one if my RB action had the sliding extractor.

Scot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Falling Block Works (FBW) still was selling nice, relatively inexpensive actions similar to high walls a couple of years ago.

Steve Earle sells a Wesson #1 that is beautiful.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone confirm that FBW is still in business. How can they be contacted?

My quick internet searching said that Leo Fix was the last owner. The business address was in Rapid city MI. I also see an obituary for a Leo Fix in Rapid City MI, dated 2015.

They look like nice actions. I would want one. Especially if it were a kit. Transfer and receiving cost get very expensive.

One would think that making an action kit could be done very cheaply in today's world of CNC machining. A "kit" could avoid transfer costs. And since is it is not a useable firearm liability would be less. One would think that there would be a demand for this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:
quote:
Go to rollingblockparts.com ... Kenn also has rolling block actions for sale also, sometimes.
dave

Thanks Dave,

I have some business to do with him. I have most of a 1910 Mexican 7mm carbine. I need the parts associated with the trigger guard. It was somebody's botched project that got disassembled then separated from the parts. . After that I am about out of actions. I may scratch build something.

I was thinking that the 1910 Rolling block may work OK with 45ACP. I was born a 7mm mauser. Same head size and extractor configuration for both cartridges. It is much stronger than needed of course.

Rather than getting into new cartridges I am trying to consolidate into common cartridges that I already have. I want to be able to use commonly available ammo. I am over the weird and wild and wildcats.

45LC is not uncommon, I just have several 45 Autos already. I might build one if my RB action had the sliding extractor.

Scot

The 45ACP will work fine in the 7mm RB.

If you haven't already, take a look here:

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/y...l?num=1427312141/2#2

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is what I have. I called 2 or 3 years ago and Joe or Leo sent me a price list in the snail mail.

Hope it's not the same Leo Fix in the obituary.

Here's the contact info:

6186 Rapid City Rd. NW, Rapid City MI 49676. Phone:231-590-7391. Email:Lfixtorchlake.com

Thanks,
Steve

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Cimarron/Uberti makes a nice low wall 45LC. They are much better quality now than when they were introduced.
At the other end of the spectrum, you could start with a Hagn.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Costs a lot of money to design and build a "kit", even on CNC machines. To not be classified as a "firearm" it must not be usable as is; 80 percent finished is the term used for those. So the receiver could not be finished but require some major machining, like no threads.
Bottom line is, the design and setup costs could not be recovered with what would be a small demand. So, it will never happen.
A set of investment castings; yes, those can be done cheaply.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottom line is, the design and setup costs could not be recovered with what would be a small demand. So, it will never happen.
A set of investment castings; yes, those can be done cheaply.

I'm sure you're right.

Maybe another approach would be more practical? I would pay the retail price of a finished action for an 80%-er. If I had to do some work to avoid transfer fees and government meddling I would do it in a heartbeat. Even better If one could buy the action direct from the maker and avoid transfer fees and dealer mark-up the savings would be very significant. All the manufacturer would need to do is leave an existing action unfinished. Just pull the parts from the line early.

AR lowers are an example. 1911's are another. You can get quality 80% AR lowers for half the price of a complete one. You avoid the transfer fees too. All the hard stuff is done for you. So, like you said, leave off the barrel threads and maybe don't drill any holes. My biggest stumbling block is making the breech block mortice. I don't own a shaper, or a Bridgeport with the shaper feature. An 80% highwall sounds very interesting to me.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
ARs are made and sold by the thousands, as are the internal parts.
High walls, will never be sold in the tens, or hundreds, and internal parts are not made. So, whereas you can get an AR receiver for less than $100, your high wall receiver, even 80% one, will be closer to $1000. It ain't going to happen because if I thought they would sell, I would be making them.
Call C Sharps Arms and ask them; they make High Wall actions for $1200. Ask them if they will sell you one without any barrel threads or screw holes for $1200.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is very cool; maybe the OP likes Hepburns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I contacted Leo Fix of FBW. He is OK. He has nothing for sale. The old models are gone. Something new, like a high wall will be coming in 6-months.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortened Mauser 98? I have one I might sell if you are interested.
MP

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stock too to send to the stockmaker to use as a pattern.
MP

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine did one on a SMLE with a 30" bull barrel. He put a ladder sight on it and it was a blast to shoot across newly tilled fields and watch the dust spurts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No pressure concerns with the rolling block?

The only real way to say thank you for all these helpful replies would be progress photos of your project.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scota,

Glad Leo is still out there. Thanks for letting us know. Sorry he doesn't have any actions.

Steve