New
Find
Notify
Tools

Follower spring question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How can I lighten the tension on the follower spring on my new custom Mauser .404J ? I have tried two different springs, and to make it feed perfectly, it needs a spring slightly weaker than the stiffer of the two springs. Any ideas ? Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Might not be the right way, but the way I've always' done it is to pinch it with a pair of pliers where it folds. there are three folds in the spring. I pinch everyone and then start moving them back to the original position until the problem starts again. Back it off just a little and call it good.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can grind the width down. Keep in mind your physics; the effect of thinning it at various locations will have varying effect.
Note that there are sometimes small radii removed near the most stressed joints - Those are stress reducers and are very important! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Are you sure it is the spring tension? What is happening?

If it is not feeding properly, it is probably not the spring but the feed rails or follower.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim: The first round loaded into the magazine with the weak spring won't stay along the rail very well, but with the stronger spring it fits just fine. Then, with the weaker spring, the next three rounds fit perfectly, and all four feed fine (I'd just like the 1st round to fit a little better against the rail; with four rounds in the mag, everything fits fine). With the stronger spring, three rounds fit perfectly into the magazine, but the tension is too strong for the first round to feed at all (only three rounds will go into the magazine with the stronger spring). I think if I had another spring with tension between these two springs, everything would work fine. Jim, if that doesn't work, I may send you the barreled action so you can fix it. Also, I'm thinking of asking you to stock it (Jack Haugh in Indiana built the rifle, but cannot stock it now because he broke his back, & is laid up for a while). Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still think it is the rails and not the spring. Anyone else care to chime in on this? Wespac? Jim WIsner?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
(I'd just like the 1st round to fit a little better against the rail.

Sounds more like a follower problem. If the cartridge guide is too wide then the first round will sit lazily on the follower.

Frank, load the first round and look to see how much play there is between the cartridge and the guide. There shouldn't be any. The guide should hold the first round firmly against the side and under the rail.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the guide the middle ridge on the top of the follower ? Let me know if that's what you're referring to, & I'll check. Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
Is the guide the middle ridge on the top of the follower ? Let me know if that's what you're referring to, & I'll check. Thanks.

Yes, that ridge holds the first round in position so the other rounds will stack correctly under the rails.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is the last round out of the magazine that is giving you trouble, I have to agree with Westpac. If the first, secon, or third come out ok and not the last one, it is probably the followere.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda going back to the first question..."How do you lighten the spring" I've used a number of GMA actions...the follower spring is STRONG! I find smoother feeding by lightening the tension slightly. Put the spring in the kichen oven and turn it up to about 500 degrees..when temperature is reached, "cook" it for about a half hour, then turn off and leave it be until all's cool...if this is not enough, do it again at 550..but I find the first time is about right

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote