Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 Columbian "R. FAMAGE" action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Does anyone know the history behind these actions. Were they originaly manufactured by FN? Who or what was R.FAMAGE? These are the 98 Mauser actions made for Columbia in 30-06 with a semicircle cut out in the front ring &.30 stamped on the rear bridge with receiver opened up for the 30-06 length magazine box. This is all factory original. The only info that I have is from Mauser Bolt rifles by Ludwig Olsen and the information is pretty limited. I just aquired one of the receivers BRAND NEW never had a barrel screwed onto it or a bolt slid into it.! This receiver is MINT. I plan to build something special on it. The receiver is stamped "R. FAMAGE 1957" on the right side of the receiver ring & the crest of Columbia on top. No proof marks anywhere but the pin point mark is on the bottom where it was hardness tested. This receiver was purchased from Sarco about 10 years ago.

Doug Humbarger

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 02-25-2002).]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bear Claw:
[B]Does anyone know the history behind these actions. Were they originaly manufactured by FN? Who or what was R.FAMAGE? These are the 98 Mauser actions made for Columbia in 30-06 with a semicircle cut out in the front ring &.30 stamped on the rear bridge

When Coiombia switched to .30-06 in the early 50's they convertrd some 7-MM mausers.
This was done at Fabrica de material deguerra
(war material factory) in Bogota. these rifles are identified by .30 on the chamber and R.FAMAGUE on receiver. R.FAMAGUE means converted by the war material factory.
This text was mostly stolen from, Mauser Military Rifle Markings page 60.
Look on page 171 of L.Olson, Mauser bolt rifle's, CZ-Model 24 /Coiombia/7MM
Look's like you have a Perfect VZ-24 made made for Colombia!
Have fun!

[This message has been edited by tsturm (edited 02-25-2002).]

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have one of those R.FAMAGE actions. I bought it brand new and in cosmolene- it has never been barrelled.

I believe these were made with FN tooling under FN's supervision in Columbia during the 50's...

If I remember correctly, I could have gotten a new .30-06 barrel from the same manufacturer but I passed because it was stepped (Arrgh!) and I spyed a nice Springfield 03 action on a nearby table...

Any additional information appreciated.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I always thought R. Famage was a gunsmith bec ause my .243 is built on a Famage action.

WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
BTT

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I thought these actions were actually made by FN?

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
SC they were made by FN.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
DH,

I have one too! And, I wish I had 10 more. Brand new.

Has anyone had the hardness checked on one?

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was teaching at Trinidad, the bookstore had these receivers in stock. This was about 10 years ago. I think I bought 1/2 dozen of them. When I got home I called Sarco and bought 6 more. I knew that over the years that someone would send me an action that the receiver was cracked or somehow unuseable and I would replace their receiver with one of these receivers. I thik I paid about $40 a piece for them. Over the years I've sold several, and replaced about 3 receivers from customers. I also use them for test receivers. Last year I had customer with a wild cat cartridge he devoloped, it was a .375 case, resized for a .416, then shortened to fit a Mauser 98 receiver. I used one of these receivers to get the deminsions right for feeding this cartridge. I didn't want to use his receiver as a test case.

If you can find them, there a great item to have sitting on the shelf for when you need one. They were made by FN and have the half moon cutout on the back of the receiver ring.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I've been following one of these and have some questions...

1) I read that ALL "R Famage" actions were reconditioned and scrubbed of all original maker's markings IN COLUMBIA (some styer made 98's, vz24's and FN's).

2) I read that some were made new (in the 50s) by FN and stamped "R Famage" in Belgium.

3) I also read that some Columbian crested FN's of 1950's mfg were not stamped "R Famage."

I've found one stamped "R Famage" but it has no makers name... was it scrubbed or just left off.

The seller claims that it is new (@1950's from FN.)

So, what is this one???

I just can't tell from differing stories...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarco billed as FN made in the 1950's. I have several receivers as you have shown in you photos. My serial number range is in the F29xxx range. I have milled and surface ground several of them and they appear to be better metallurgy than actions of old.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark. So I guess there is such a thing as an unissued "Famage" FN mauser from 1950's mfg.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one without the FAMAGE on it, I believe it was made in Belgium.

IIRC, Colombia contracted with FN to make a bunch of 30-06's.

After the contract was over or amended, FN sailed off to Colombia with tooling etc. and more 'FN rifles' were produced IN Colombia.

Whether made in Belgium or Colombia, I don't think you can go wrong.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think so.... I was buying these receivers for $40 each, that was 10 years ago, but I wouldn't pay over $100 each.

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I have one of these as well. Mine is a BRNO VZ 12/33. S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are those intermediate length? Notch on front ring?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
They are full length 98s. Mine in the photo is sn F. 28240. It is now a 338/06.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that they are standard length, but Columbia wanted to use US .30 cal ball ammo which is the reason for the half moon cut in the receiver ring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if anyone has had one of these actons tested or heat treated?

I bought 5 in the F.26xxx range complete with a military bolt, trigger and an 09 Argentine triggerguard for $60 each from a seller named Royce in Va. I think this was about 15 years ago. The actions I have show no evidence of ever being barreled. Not only is the exterior clean, but the rails and the trigger area are unmarked. If they were a reworked action, someone took pains to clean up and re-machine the feed rails, screw threads and underside. They sure looked to be new and were advertised as that by the seller.

I was impressed that the steel is easily worked to a nice finish, but it does not seem to have the tough (hard) case of the military mausers. I still have one, but the others have been worked into rifles for deer hunting, 2 each .270 and 30-06. No heavy hitters or high pressure loads, but clearly no lug set back in over ten years of use for those.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of these actions SN 29xxx. I sent them to Douglas Barrel and had them Rockwell the actions and all 3 scaled out at 33-34. I must admitt Ireally like this forum,stick around long enough and someome will ask the very same question Iwas about to post! The plans for mine are 30/06,35 Whelan and then something big 416 Taylor or 458 Win. By the way I paid $100 for all 3 10/12 years ago. Hoped this helps.

Rich

Posts: 15 | Location: suburb of Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one built into a 375 H&H and could not be more pleased. Until now I had no idea what the R Famage was or meant. I am glad someone posted about it.
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont like how that one is D/T ed. Some of those buelers are odd ball also

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
BTT for cal joe.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this thread while researching an action I bought on Friday. Mine is not stamped "R Famage." The action is in good condition, but he bottom metal and magazine box are pitted. I'm thinking about building a 9,3x62 with it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked one up as well...
Machining seems to be quite abit nicer than my K98k actions.

I am building a 35 Whelen AI on mine...

Posts: 101 | Location: South of Buffalo, NY | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote