Find
Notify
Tools

homemade firecracker gun?
 Login/Join

<SamsonLee>
posted
hi,there.
i am interested in gun,but only have $200 in my little pocket.
has anyone make firecracker rifle before?using chinese firecracker,the red one,shooting .50 cal lead ball,smooth barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
For $200 just go buy a Muzzle loader.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Is this guy for real or am I missing something here?

<thumbtrap>
posted
At 1 post, wanting a smoothbore rifle, I'll let you guess.

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Can we say match lock Zip Gun?

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Hey kid, go buy ya some fireworks over in Wyoming with your $200. Then come summertime blast some dragonflys out of the sky with those bottlerockets and blow up some anthills with those red firecrackers. Just make sure your big brother is supervising you, wouldn't want you getting hurt.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Sounds like you need to start out with a sewer-pipe cannon like Pat McManus.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
<SamsonLee>
posted
of course i'm for real.
i'm planning to make a rifle,smooth bore,barrel is from muzzleloader store,using firecracker powder to make paper caartridge,shooting lead ball,.50 cal,at 1000 FPS,is it possible to reach this velocity with the chinese red fire cracker?

this rifle will only use as pest control.since i can get those firecracker at a real low price,i won't go for a blackpowder muzzleloader.

<Rifleman7>
posted
I'm with Vibe, you're looking for trouble. Some problems can be avoided.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Troll Alert!

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Some things SHOULD be left alone!

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
These firechackers use "Flash powder" very dangerous mix! I blew a hole in my hand with the stuff.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Let me assume this is a serious question, asked for simple information.

Firecrackers use "flashpowder," which usually is a mixture of aluminium (or sometimes magnesium) flour and (usually) potassium perchlorate. This powder is many, many times more powerful and tempermental than any kind of gunpowder. If it is used in any kind of firearm, there is a grave risk of bursting.

In the form of firecrackers, there are additional hazards: many firecrackers do not explode immediately. The fuses of some fail to ignite the main charge, while others will linger until a tiny spark glowing inside suddenly flares and the main charge is lighted. Quite often, that charge is not properly confined and the burning contents spew out as a spit of spark-laced flame.

In all these instances, plus those when the firecracker does explode properly, a great deal of paper trash is created. In a confined area such as the bottom of a gun barrel, sparks will linger in this trash, some hot enough to ignite the next firework reaching them. Obviously, this is dangerous.

With reasonable patience and shopping, worthwhile used muzzleloading rifles and their ammunition and accessories can be purchased for from $120 to $160 or so. Go to the public library and ask to be furnished a book on the designs, care, and shooting of muzzleloading guns. Most libraries have these books. If yours does not, ask them to get one on the service called "Interlibrary Loan." Study the book carefully, most have a lot of very interesting things and pictures.

Paladin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The powder in the firecrakers are
1. too fine.
2. too hot.
3. not pure, limestone powder is added to prevent acidity and moisture.
4. not intended as a propellant, the composition only produce enough heat and gas to rupture the paper roll.

Go for a muzzle loader and propellant grade black powder, unless you have spare money for insurance.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once shot a firecracker gun made by a military gun designer.

The pipe was attached with a bent over beer can[50's beer cans were thicker]. The recoil slid the barrel half way out the back.

That gun did not meet mil spec requirements

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Paladin were there when I shot a hole in my hand? From your post it sounds like it but it was a cannon barrel not a gun barrel.
Live & learn "if your lucky" & don't repeat my STUPID mistakes. I was very lucky!
After the 3/8 inch ball bearing that was the projectile went through my hand it hit a 1954 Plymounth that was about 20 feet away at a 45 degree angle & put a dent in it 2 inches long & 1/2 inch deep & kept on going! What was the charge you ask. The powder from four little fire crackers! The wadding was a cigerate filter & pieces of it stayed in the cauterized hole through my hand. DO NOT MESS WITH FLASH POWDER! YOU MIGHT NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT!

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 02-19-2002).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Fire cracker powder is way too hot and the granulation is way to fine for a 50 cal projectile. I have put about 8000 rounds through a 50 cal CVA rifle, so I have some experience on the subject.

If you want a low yield 50 cal load, try using about 20 grains(volume measure not weight!)of FFFg powder. One pound of powder has 7000 grains and should cost about $15. Plenty cheap. The granulation size is important because it has to do with burn rate. Black powder rifle charges do not ignite all at once, but gradually. Black powder has an arithmetic burn rate and though it may seem to detonate, it is realy a matter of miliseconds. This can be measured on a calorimeter(sp?). Flash powder detonates and will produce dangerous overpressures in the barrel.

I don't suppose you are going to thread a breach bolt from proof stressed ordinance steel?

If you make this gun, sooner or later it is going to end up being a bomb and not a barrel.

<El Viejo>
posted
Sorry, I had another thought.
If pest control is what you are after, go for a .32 cal muzzle loader. A rat charge is probably about 10 grains of powder, maybe less. The standard charge I use in this rifle is 25gr fffg.

If you push a 50 cal lead ball (148gr) at 1000fps, you will have about 225 foot #s at muzzle. This may be a little extreme for pest control, unless they are varmit size and up Since cost seems to be an issue, if you go with a .32cal then the balls are a lot cheaper.

One other problem with your idea is consistancy. A muzzle loader is capable of good accuracy provided that your load is repeatable. You set your sights to the repeatable load. If you need too shoot a little higher or lower, you add or subtract a small amount of powder from the next load, leaving the sights untouched. You won't get this kind of repeatability unless you personally load the shot from known components. I even mike my patch material when I run out and have to buy some more. This is to insure the same friction fit in the load.

Why try to reinvent the wheel, especially since it will be inferior and dangerous?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a long thread on <gunwritersontheweb> under the �gis of "catsneeze" that notes that EC Blankfire can be used for silent loads by producing zero muzzle pressure. The pressure curve drops very quickly, leaving the bullet's inertia to carry it on.
The pressures developed can be tremendous, but not necessarily uncontrollable.
Varmint control, poaching and partizan activities were the motivation for this activity.
Interesting concept.
Cheere from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Please provide the complete address for <gunwritersontheweb>: Yahoo/Netscape cannot find that server. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paladin,
I'm a bit gauche at this technology, but try <<http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html>> or search <catsneeze>
There are six parts of fascinating lore. The Finns are not suppressed, even when their guns are.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paladin,
Wow! Twenty sites for <<gunwriters questions and answers>>
I've got my spare time scheduled for awhile!
I'm getting an education on PC indoctrination.
Cheers,
Ross

<eldeguello>
posted
.50 cal. "smoothbore rifle"?? Using flashpowder? Methink'em notso good idea. Heap stupid!! Kaboom!!

------------------
Larry

<Powderman>
posted
Excuse me, but.....

1. Why would you make a "firecracker gun" when there are guns and ammo (.22 Colibri) available that would make the same amount of noise (as a matter of fact less) than a firecracker gun?

2. Why would you want to use an explosive (flash powder) instead of a propellant (gunpowder) for a firearm?

3. Do you live in such a restrictive area that modern firearms are not available to you for this purpose?

4. If the answer to (3) above is no, and you are that inexperienced in firearms, welcome to the forum. I have learned more here than I have almost anywhere else. This place is a gold mine for knowledge.

5. If the answer to (3) above is yes, my sympathies. Listen to what the other posters are saying concerning black powder.

However, and no insults intended, there is a possibililty that you are:

1. A really, really bored kid, or

2. A visitor from ATF who REALLY needs to learn a bit more about firearms.

If you're legit, welcome!

If not, find somewhere else to play.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

<Rafael>
posted
Get your self a .22 caliber rimfire.
Ruger 10/22 is a fine one for under 200$.
Besides, .22 ammo is cheaper than firecrackers.

$
RAF

<dr280>
posted
WOW_
Cool post.......
Get a cheap .22 rimfire and get off the idea of getting "really cheap powder".
The only question I have... BearClaw, you got any pictures from your incident? They may be worth posting- just to show what can happen from being "mentally challenged with nothing to do, and HEY this might be a GOOD idea".

<Hutt>
posted
In the world of survival the term natural selection will apply here.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I did that on July 4th 1967 but i took a picture of my hand after i did it. If I can find it i'll post the pic. Or maybe just scan my hand & show the scar.

Doug

------------------
NRA Life member