New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 870 shot gun sight fix Iron Works sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Dept has about 30 870's with Iron works ghost ring sights on them put on by Remington.

During some training last week the rear sight broke in half. Being the dept armorer I was assighed to get it fixed.

A call and email to Remington. I was told Iron works sights were no longer in busness. They said take it to a smith or send it to vang comp to have new sights put on. Because the Iron sights Rear base is brazed on it would be refinshing the gun adding to the expense.

The more I looked at it I decided there was a easier way after some research I decided a Williams peep for the marlin 336 should work, So I ordered one and had to drill and tap one 8x40 hole and use one of the holes all ready there.

After a rough guess as to where to set the sight I mounted it and it fitted just fine.

When I shot it the elevation was perfect the windage a bit to the right after 5 shots she was shooting right on. Total cost of the fix was around 40 dollars for sight ,drill and tap and shipping.

A lot cheaper then the fix Remington said to do.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Is this the peep with the serrated sections on the mount and aperture section where one Allen head bolt is used for both windage and elevation?

Thanks for the heads up, I know one of our gentle giants will eventually manage to break one. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neg it has to steel wings mounted to the reciver torx head mounting screws Says Iron works sights on the top of sight. flat head for elv. Phipps for windage.

Broke during recoil google search shows we are not the only one with trouble.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote