New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock dings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to raise a couple of small dents or dings in a wood stock .
Do I have to remove finish first before steaming , then refinish , or can I apply steam directly as is ?

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1299 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The steam will penetrate better with no finish, but if you try it with the finish still on, it will still work to some degree. So try it as is first and you will be surprised. It is a lot of work to remove all the finish just for a dent. I use a regular steam iron and a washcloth.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a pin hole in the center of the ding. Add water to fill the ding, cover it with a band aid. Let it sit over night and then use the steam. The pin hole allows moisture to get below the finish into the wood.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys , I will try your suggestions .
Somewhere my wife has this mini steam generator , for cleaning purposes .
I was thinking of trying that , with a piece of cloth on the wood

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1299 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somewhere my wife has this mini steam generator

Most of those won't allow you to simply focus on the spot. damp cloth and the tip on an iron.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Somewhere my wife has this mini steam generator

Most of those won't allow you to simply focus on the spot. damp cloth and the tip on an iron.
Or an electric soldering iron.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or an electric soldering iron

Yep I've used the broad soldiering tip as well. Doesn't upset the boss either. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
I was wondering if an old electric soldering iron would work ! I think i'll try that !
Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I use a mini-steam cleaner. Works wonders.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3057 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I've used the iron over a damp cloth before with limited success.. I think it matters if the dent "broke" the fibers of the wood.. if it did, it doesn't steam out very well. I've found this doing a lot of military stocks.

but on the matter of "dents and dings"... My go-to Rifle, my 1980 vintage Rem 700 in 30-06, has been to 4 states as well as Africa... and has accounted for many deer, antelope and some plains game.. Every dent and ding to me is a reminder of the memory of a fun time I had hunting with that rifle.. If you saw it on a table at a gunshow, you probably wouldn't give $400 for it... but i wouldn't sell it for $4000..

I like my "dents and dings"!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it matters if the dent "broke" the fibers of the wood

You are 100% right. tu2 Steam will allow you to normally raise a "DENT" back to the original surface.

If the wood fibers are cut or if some wood is actually missing steam can only do so much.

So take a close look and verify if you have a dent then set your expectation accordingly.

But I'm with you there are a couple rifles I own that I can tell how each mark happened and plan to keep them just as they are.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Finally got a picture of it:

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3057 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If the dents are small and or the grain is cut, steam often won't pull them up. I generally fill them with crazy glue. Well, the industrial stuff like HotStuff. I then use the super catalyst spray and stand back about 16 inches and give it a light sweep. If you use to much catalyst the glue will boil and turn white. After you build up a small puddle of glue it's a simple matter of cutting it down to the finish height with 600 wet & dry and water and then buffing it with steel wool or rubbing compound. It takes me about 20 minutes to do. Practice on an old stock first.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yep, super glue is backup plan