Find
Notify
Tools

My $129 1903 Springfield Project.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted
I thought I would share pictures of this project of mine that is near completion. At a local gunshop I picked up this boogered up of a sporter job which featured a boogered up bolt handle (that Jim Kobe replaced with a Dakota), no bluing left, the smell of cold bluing, and the stock looked more like a canoe paddle (which I sold the previous stock on eBay for around $60, an absolute surprise!). I then picked up a semi inlet for $60 in a very plain piece of black walnut. My whole goal was to finish this rifle for less than $200. I was also sitting on a Buehler safety and an old English pad (that I wrapped in leather) that I bought for a song. Which were perfect for this rainy day project.

First of all I am not a big fan of the Monte Carlo stock design. However the whole premise of the project was to try to emulate a rifle that came out of the 1950's. This design around the time was picking up steam with the influence of Leonard Mews. In addition to the other tasks performed, I replaced the existing aluminum bases with STEEL weaver bases. I retained the original aluminum floor plate, which is why I didn’t sand flush to the metal. Also yes I could have gone to an original Springfield triggerguard, BUT that would have busted my goal for sure. Yesterday I just finished rust bluing all of the metal. Wednesday or Thursday the scope should arrive in the mail. I will be mounting a Weaver K4 that is in mint condition. One day when I am not on this earth anymore I hope that I did a decent enough job on this project that folks will scratch their head trying to determine the history behind this rifle.

After doing the math the total amount I have into this finished project was $214. So I slightly went over my overall goal of being under $200. This will be my son Cody's first deer rifle when he is old enough to hunt. One last item to note is yes it's not checkered! (My Smallmouth Bass season is in full swing here on the river, so checkering is on hold until December)

Here are the pictures:

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bolt handle
dancing dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No white line spacers???

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like all of it.....except the bolt handle. Just kidding, Jim!

MK160

MK160

Posts: 58 | Location: East TN | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice job!
Looks like Mauser bottom metal?
Where did you get your stock from?
Checkered or not your son will have one hell of a deer/elk/bear rifle to pass on long after you are gone to the happy hunting grounds.
Nice work.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Followup pictures with this now checkered.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
That is an absolutely stunning bolt handle. I can't remember when I've ever seen one so nice! Where has all that bolt handle talent been hiding? Whistling

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might have dyed the stock for a little red tint. if I would have done anything differently.

VERY NICE!

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
I might have dyed the stock for a little red tint. if I would have done anything differently.

Trust me I was thinking the same with hindsight being 20/20