New
Find
Notify
Tools

work table
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am fixing to build a gun cleaning table/reloading bench / Does anyone have any plans or suggestions. I have about 12' to work with.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
Google is your friend.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Build it about as tall as your belt buckle, build it sturdy so it'll take a beating, and add whatever storage you want or can engineer underneath.

Have fun with it!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
pull out storage is nice but takes more space to install.

Will you have access to the either end of the bench. It's easier to do most of the work from one end of the gun than the sides.

or

make an "L" shape at one end about 5 ft long.

sorry .. if it's a table than you're good to go.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is 3X6, the top made of two pieces of 3/4 ply bookmatched to counter the twist in each sheet, set at about belt/navel height. Framing for the top is held back 3-1/2 inches all around to accommodate clamps, etc. Outlets (plug strips) mounted high on two adjacent legs (the front legs, I'd guess they could be called).

Painted white.

Consider adding a jewelers trap along front edge to catch screws and springs on their way to the floor. This is just a piece of cloth forming a gutter along the front edge that can be added or removed as wanted.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My work area always seems to be the same size no matter what size the bench. The rest of the top tends to catch things that don't get put away properly. And I struggle to keep the work area from shrinking. There is an oft quoted law of nature that says "your possessions expand to fill the available space". That applies to houses, barns or work benches.

In your instance, I would have a 5' work bench, a 4-5' loading bench and shelves between them to keep things separated.

But that's just me. Maybe you're neater & more organized.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I made mine out of a solid core door and 2 bottom cabinets from Lowes. Talk to one of the stock people ask if they have any damaged/blemished doors and cabinets. My door had a large scratch in it, and the cabinets had scratches on the doors. Got everything at half off because nobody wanted it.

Posts: 19 | Location: Central OKlahoma | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cabelas.com/product...BSearch-All+Products

I have had two of these for several years and they have been great. With 2x4's you can make them up to 4'x8'. In smaller size I have stood on them and I am pushing the 300lb mark.
If link won't work go to Cabelas.com then to shooting and then type work bench in the search area. I tried to copy the exact address, so hope it works.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
My work area always seems to be the same size no matter what size the bench. The rest of the top tends to catch things that don't get put away properly. And I struggle to keep the work area from shrinking. There is an oft quoted law of nature that says "your possessions expand to fill the available space". That applies to houses, barns or work benches.

In your instance, I would have a 5' work bench, a 4-5' loading bench and shelves between them to keep things separated.

But that's just me. Maybe you're neater & more organized.

You and I must live in parallel universes!

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

H Kittle, I can't help you to much with How-To Build your work bench but I do have some advice for you, once it is complete!
You know that rubberized woven looking material that they make for placing under floor mats and rugs? It designed to stop the mat/rug from slipping and sliding on polished or wooden floors. Anyway, it is great product for placing on top of a work bench, as it give your firearms some amount of protection and also stops them from sliding about!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made mine out of a solid core door and 2 bottom cabinets from Lowes

Great idea, ready-made solid work surface.

My writing desk is a hollow core on two nicely built saw horses. It came pre-milled for a lockset so I dropped cables and wires thru the holeWink

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great ideas. Now to find the time to get it done.

H Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't make the top too deep as it will only hold more junk that could be stored below on shelves. Here is my bench what was made in 1960 and was bolted together so I could move it to TSJC. Solid white oak!! I have made a few with chip board 3/4 in. thick with 2 layers using one 4X8 board ripped. Seal the bench with about 4 heavy coats of poly urethane outdoor type. Oil and grease will not get into the wood. I used old newspapers on top to work off when cleaning guns with a solvent. When finished just take off a couple layers of paper and you are ready for the next job. A clean bench top is a must for me. Peg board on the back is great to hang tools up. A couple of drawers is handy for storing tools. Mine was made child proof as my 2 yr old son was into everything. Shelves down under are about 12 inches deep. Keep things off the floor around your bench in order to clean easier and fine parts which you drop. If you are going to work standing in one place buy some of the mats made for commercial shops.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two. My reloading desk is just that. I bought an old wooden office desk that I could drill the top to and mount the presses. The other is a solid core door sitting on top of two 2-drawer file cabilets that have been screwed to the door from the underside. They both work well and have a modicum of storage. For more storage, just get a storage cabinet.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I had my work bench Linex'd. (Recommended)

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote