Find
Notify
Tools

Is ""nice wearver rings" an oxymoron
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Who make the nicest looking (non-tactical) weaver/picatinny style rings.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Warne

http://warnescopemounts.com/products/rings/

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These Weaver rings aren't too bad for Weaver rings;

http://www.brownells.com/optic...rings-prod26113.aspx

I used them on a flat top AR with a Picatinny rail.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to Warnes.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Beauty is as beauty does - and Weavers aren't bad at all - so long as you don't mind their looks.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Beauty is as beauty does - and Weavers aren't bad at all - so long as you don't mind their looks.

Thats a true statement. They are strong and stable. Just ugly IMHO. I don't care for Talley bases either. I like a simulated square bridge base. But that has nothing to do with function.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
They were designed I think for Savage bolt-action rifles.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

Now I don't care who you are, that there's funny

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Burris Zee rings are the slimmest/cleanest and most attractive rings compatible with a Weaver base that I've run across. The Signature series with the plastic inserts are better from a functional standpoint but may not be as attractive. The biggest drawback with these is because the bottom half is solid and just clamps on the weaver profile, the rings have to slide on from the end of the base(s). That has caused issues for me on a couple rifles when swapping scopes on because of interference with a rear sight. They do repeat zero pretty well when removed and re-installed.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

yuck

And side mounts were designed to destroy the value of any action.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another vote for the Warnes

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still like Weaver rings and bases on a iron sighted DGR, Mostly because on a DG rifle you can take the scope off and still have a good view of your irons..Not a lot of bases allow that these days. I know you can build a rear iron sight high enough to work but it looks like a wart on a pigs ass when you get it high enough to clear most bases.

Weavers are strong and they return to zero if you keep the screw slot locations in your memrory bank are return to the same tension.

The worst thing about Weaver rings is it can be a hassle to keep the horizontal hair level when installing and I have had the same trouble when hunting horseback. the constant jogging will pull the horizontal off a bit sometimes. But hey you can find fault with most scope rings and bases if you use them enough...My favorite set up is a set of Bob Brownells QD, but they are hard to come buy. Also the older Warne bases were low enough for iron sights, but the rings would jump and lock your bolt on some makes of rifles such as a Mauser.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote