Notify
Tools

Storing my handguns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted
Hey everyone,

I'm wasn't sure where to post this topic but here goes. I bought a stack-on pistol box for storing my handguns on my nightstand in the bedroom. It came with a foam pad for the bottom and it has a shelf on top. I'm putting my 1911 and my 9mm on the top shelf and want to put my desert eagle .50 on the bottom. It has a titanium gold finish and I was wondering is it safe to store it on the foam? I've heard folks before say not to store a firearm on something that might draw moisture. The box is made of steel and has holes on each side for mounting so there would be some ventilation. Will it hurt my guns? Should I put some dessicants inside it? Thanks for any info!

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:

Words from a guy that has had expensive things stolen:

First thing perps will do if they see the box in the night stand is cart the night stand out of the house, put it in their vehicle, and attack it later far far away. And they will find it!

Firearms should be in a heavy duty vault secured to house framing.

Heck perps even carry big gun safes out of a house.

I agree, I'm just doing this temporarily to keep the little ones fingers off of my guns, but still keep them close to me at night. Bigger vault is on the way shortly. Any ideas about a material safe to set the guns on while I have to use the pistol box?

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the vertical space in that box, get a rack to store them upright. Add the desiccant anyway. It can't hurt.

If not, desiccant or VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitor) in the box will also do the trick, but you need to set an alarm to maintain it. Desiccant and VCI have a shelf life. I put it in my work calendar to re-charge my desiccant packs. VCI packs you just replace.

Wash the foam in hot soapy water, and dry it thoroughly. Sometimes foams have treatments on them that are not friendly to metals.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
If you have the vertical space in that box, get a rack to store them upright. Add the desiccant anyway. It can't hurt.

If not, desiccant or VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitor) in the box will also do the trick, but you need to set an alarm to maintain it. Desiccant and VCI have a shelf life. I put it in my work calendar to re-charge my desiccant packs. VCI packs you just replace.

Wash the foam in hot soapy water, and dry it thoroughly. Sometimes foams have treatments on them that are not friendly to metals.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I would also vote for the VCI stuff. I have various forms of it in and around my safe. For the foam box, I'd get a thin rag and wet it down with VCI just enough that you know it's on the rag and lay the gun in it inside the box so no foam touches the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I store my handguns in the plastic suitcase type cases that are foam inside with two layers of firearms, usualy 6 or 8 per case depending upon barrel length. I wipe them down with B/C Sheath and stack them in. The cases are then stacked in my safe. Between either my normal shooting use or a once a year or so "check them out and re-Sheath" I have never had an issue. Allows a lot of pieces to be stored in a pretty small volume.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Great advice guys thank you!