Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Gibbs ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Is there such a thing as a 8mm Gibbs Magnum? I have no idea what this is, and if it does exist, what it is comparable to. Or is this just someone's BS?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Rocky Gibbs chambered his case in an 8mm it was called the 8mm Gibbs. It is a blown out 06 with the shoulder forward. I have not heard of an 8mm Gibbs Magnum but there are a lot of wildcats I haven't heard of.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
As Ramrod says, it is just plain 8mm Gibbs - NOT "magnum". It is an '06 case with the shoulder blown forward to leave a .25" neck, 35-degree shoulder, and minimum case taper (shoulder diameter .455")..... There are Gibbs cartridges as follows: .240, .25, 6.5mm, .270, 7mm, .30, 8mm, and .338". I have even heard of a ".35" Gibbs, but have never seen one. ALL are identical in every way except for neck diameter, of course.

The originator, "Rocky" Gibbs, apparently liked the .270 version the best..... I think I'd prefer the .338.....

I consider them to be the "ultimate" '06 based cartridges. From the .30 caliber up, they are very good. Below .30, they are on the "over-bore capacity" side, especially the .240 and .25's....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote