Find
Notify
Tools

trigger group removal on Savage pump shotgun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
Anything I need to know before attempting to pull the trigger group out of my old Springfield/Savage 67 pump shotgun? Will it pull out of the receiver nicely, or will springs and stuff fly everywhere?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
PAndy---

Unless it's broke don't get into it.

It's built like a cheap clock and you can break something trying to get it back together. The carrier spring is a particular nightmare.

I'd rather be a roofer than work on one.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
PAndy,

It is held in place with 1 pin and 1 screw. The pin sometimes requires a heavy blow with a hammer and a "good" punch to get it moving. Once it and the screw is removed, you should be able to remove the trigger housing without too much trouble.

When you trip the hammer there is a small lug on the hammer which catches a hooked shape spring which is attached to the bolt latch assembly. Look closely at the relationship of this spring and the lug on the hammer in it's fired position. You will need to know this relationship when reassembling the group into the action. If you are only going to clean the trigger group, you can accomplish this without dismantling the trigger group into it's various pieces.

Take a digital picture before you remove anything so you will have something to fall back on if you accidentally misplace something.

When reassembling cock the hammer of course, and make certain that the bolt release lever and it's attached hooked shape spring are in proper alignment with the hammer lug.

Have fun,

Malm